Everly 18 - you have my heart

I don't need my love, you can take it.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" He clenched his jaw while gripping tighter onto the steering wheel. Annoyance radiated off his face as I watched him driving. He didn't necessarily speed but he was just ultra focused on the road now.

We were driving home from the restaurant Kendrick had taken me to tonight. As we were talking I had gotten a text from Ryder but as my phone was connected to the cars bluetooth, so Kendrick saw the notification.

Of course I didn't mind he had sent me it at night but Kendrick clearly did. I didn't really understand why. It's not something that was private, it was literally work related.

"Kendrick, it's not what you think it is." I protested, "It's just something work related."

"Okay." He shrugged.

I sighed, "Kendrick, he only sent me the new code of the alarm on the office because he isn't there tomorrow morning. Literally nothing to worry about."

He nodded, rubbing the bridge of his nose absentmindedly. "I understand."

The sarcastic tinge lacing his voice bothered me. "Ken, trust me. Here," I showed him the conversation. "See? It's literally only that."

He nodded again, "I said I understand, Everly."

For a while after that we were silent. I tried to come up with something but I couldn't really think of something. So I just waited for him to finally say something.

It didn't feel like the awkward silence you have when you're fighting but it was just a weird silence. I think we both actually wanted to say something but didn't know what to talk about. I was scared I'd say the wrong thing and piss him off.

It wasn't until Kendrick parked the car at a fast food chains parking lot, that he broke the silence. Finally.

"Everly, listen." He sighed, turning his body more towards me, his eyes trained on me forced me to keep eye-contact.

"I'm sorry I acted like that. I didn't realize I was being such a dick about it. I had no right."

"It's okay. I understand." I nodded, harshly biting down on my lip. Worried about saying the wrong thing.

"No you don't, Everly, it's not okay." He spat out, "I never should've even have made a comment on it."

He shuffled around a bit in his seat as he continued, "I just hate how he treated you tonight. And I hate that you blame yourself and feel like you're at fault for me getting mad. While it was never my business to begin with."

"It was definitely my fault and I should've never done that. It's just that I want the best for you and I personally have my ideas about him. You know those."

"Thank you for apologizing, I accept it." I replied, a bit unsure by the silence after his last few words.

He didn't really acknowledge me as he continued talking. "You know what I hate the most? The fact that you feel the need to reassure yourself that I still trust you. And that you have to show me proof that it was true what you said."

At a loss of words I blinked a few times at his last comment. It took me a moment to realize what I had been doing could be seen as if I thought he didn't trust me. He was right though, I felt the need to always apologize and make sure they knew I actually meant what I said.

"Which you shouldn't have to. Never. I trust you." He muttered, starting the car again. For a moment the continuous rumbling of the engine was the only thing heard in the car.

"Wait, Ken." I whispered, just as he started driving, my eyes burning from the held back tears. "Thank you again."

He grabbed my hand and ever so slowly intertwined our fingers. "I want you to feel safe with me and that you can trust me."

As he parked right outside my house, he motioned for me to stay put. I followed him with my eyes as he went around the car to quickly open the door for me.

"Such a gentleman." I grinned up at him. As he grabbed my hand to walk with me to the door.

"Thank you for accepting my apology." He insisted again. It was making me so happy that he saw his own fault and that shows he appreciates me.

I looked up at him, seeing him already looking down at me with a smile. His eyes twinkled as the light reflected in his eyes. So I did the only thing acceptable right then and there, I reached up a bit, standing on my tippy toes to give him a kiss. 

He clearly had been waiting for this moment as he immediately kissed me back, ever so gently. Making fireworks explode in my chest. His hands both pressed against my cheek as he sweetly kissed me.

"I love you, Ev." He mumbled in between our kisses.

I pulled away just a little bit, enough to create a little space to talk between us. "You have my heart, Kendrick. Please take care of it."

"I'm yours Ev." He let his gaze wander over my features, as he still held my face. "I will forever cherish you and I promise to take care of you, always."

My stomach tumbled over at his words. Waiting patiently for whatever was coming next.

"When I look at you, all I see is the one person I've ever wanted to marry." He pressed another kiss on my forehead as he released me. "Goodnight Everly, hope you'll dream of me."

And with that he disappeared into the darkness of the night. Leaving me standing in the doorway, wondering what I had done to deserve such a good person like him.