Everly 11 - crossing the line

You took a line and crossed it.

The constant drumming of his fingers against the steering wheel made me aware of his nervousness. The rings he wore on his hand made a tingling sound against the leather coating of the wheel.

"Ry-" I spoke up, "It's going to be fine, okay?"

He tried to smile but it turned into this weird grimace. "Yeah." He mumbled.

A few minutes passed with us sitting in silence again. As we arrived on the highway which lead to the hospital I noticed he only increased his speeding. I grabbed onto my seatbelt, not sure if I should speak up about it.

"Please stop speeding so much, you're not going to help him if something happens to you too." I suddenly snapped, anxiously fiddling with the seatbelt.

Ryder turned his head towards me wearing a weird expression. As he focused on the road again he scoffed.

"I'm not getting us into a car accident, why would you think I'm driving unsafe with you in the car? Just driving a bit faster than usual."

"No you're already going 130 (km/h) in a 100 zone and if it wasn't for me you'd only increase."

I heard him sigh and saw him roll his eyes, but he didn't say anything. He just decreased his speed and drove the speedlimit again.

Some time later we arrived at the hospital, all the while we hadn't said anything yet.

As I was struggling a bit to get out of the seatbelt he already rushed out the car and opened my door.

He reached over me to click the belt loose. His soft hair prickled my face as his familiar cologne reached my nostrils. I felt a blush creep up from my neck. I didn't know what it was but him being so close to me made me very uncomfortable. Nervous almost.

"Sorry. I have to fix this one." He mumbled with his deep voice while he finally got it loose and stood straight up again.

I jumped out of his car and quickly closed the door before following him. He waited for me to catch up and we walked towards the entrance.

"We're looking for Jason Dexter." He replied when the woman behind the reception desk asked him who we were looking for.

"Room 329, follow this hallway, take the elevator to the third floor and then you'll be able to follow the signage." The woman explained friendly.

"Thank you so much." I smiled as Ryder already was walking towards the elevator.

Running a bit to catch up with him again I huffed, "Sheesh, you take big steps."

Not replying he got into the elevator, waited for me to get inside and pressed the button for third floor. The elevator ride was completely silent, the only sound I could heard came from his fingers drumming against the bar.

As soon as we found the correct room Ryder knocked on the door and wanted to walk in. But I quickly grabbed his sleeve. He frowned as he looked at me. "What?"

"It's going to be fine, I promise."

-

"You came!" Lucinda sounded relieved, as soon as we entered the room. "Oh hey Everly, you're here too!"

As Ryder walked in he comforted Lucinda for a bit while hugging her tightly. I heard her sniff a few times before taking a deep breath and stepping back. "Go on, there he is." While nudging him to go to Jason.

Ryder walked towards the bed as I gave him some distance. He found Jason laying in it. His face was covered in stitched cuts and darkbruises and he wore a big white bandage around his head. His left arm was in a cast and his torso was wrapped in a cast-like bandage too. His legs were beneath the covers but I'm sure they weren't completely fine either.