Everly 13 - car ride convo's

Oh, all these minutes passing, sick of feeling used. If you wanna break these walls down, you're gonna get bruised.

Cuddling deeper inside my jacket I walked on the sidewalk. It was already dark outside. I usually worked till around 5 but because of Jason being in the hospital I stayed till 5.30pm and waited for Ryder to close up.

The cold wind blew right through my jacket, even if it was my winter puffer. I knew how cold Alberta winters are but this year topped everything. It was already freezing about 5 degrees and for days a snowstorm had been teasing us from the sky. The clouds were heavy white, making everything look gray in the daytime and even darker at night than usual.

As I passed the corner store I got a notification. When I quickly checked my phone it was Cameron calling me.

"Hi Cam." I answered the phone, barely able to do so as my fingers were freezing.

His cheery voice rang into my ear, "Hey, how you doing?"

"I'm okay, what's up?"

"Soo.. me and Kendrick were talking today and," I imagined him smiling as he continued, "Do you wanna get dinner with us? We could do Berry's."

I grinned, ducking deeper into my scarf, "Yeah, sounds nice. I'm just walking home right now."

"Great." He replied, honestly.

"I still have to change though, can you pick me up after?" I asked, not wanting to drive back tonight.

He hesitated a bit before answering, "Actually I can not, but I'm sure Kendrick can. I am at the other side of town right now to run some errands."

"Yea I guess? I'll ask him."

After I hung up I debated whether I should call Kendrick or just drive myself.

Sighing I grabbed my phone out of my pocket, what was I even doing? What's wrong with calling a friend to ask if they want to pick you up before going to the diner?

Deep down I knew what I was doing. I knew that deep down I still cared about what Ryder had said about me. I also knew I shouldn't care, but I did. His words had eaten a way into my thoughts again. They were there in the back of my mind, waiting to be released only to be on my mind for another century.

Putting the key into my door I knew I had to call Kendrick. Even if it was just to make the voice shut up. I wanted to be free of Ryder.

He had hurt me so many times and I was used to it. It didn't even hurt as bad anymore. But he knew I still cared. And he used that, he knew my exact pressure points. My trigger points.

I don't even know exactly why I had told him Kendrick slept over at mine. It didn't even matter in the whole subject. It wasn't like Kendrick and I had done anything. We just watched movies and talked until it was late. But Ryder always implied I was this easy kind of girl.

I didn't even want to still care about anything he did say but here I was, caring about it.

Sitting down at the couch after I put my jacket away I decided I really was gonna call Kendrick.

"It's Kendrick." He sounded sleepy when he picked up the phone, as his voice was deeper than usual.

"Hi Kendrick, it's Everly."

"Oh hey Ev." He chuckled, "Missed me already?"

I let out a soft laugh, before replying sarcastically, "Of course, why?"

He breathed out, "You coming tonight?"

"Yeah, I'd love to spend some time with the both of you." I replied, smiling softly. "But I wanted to ask you something actually."

Knowing he was just grinning I continued, "Could you pick me up?"

"Sure, I'll be there in 30, sounds good?" He replied, sounding content.

"Thank you Ken." I smiled, not even realizing I had given him a nickname.

"Mm, nicknaming me already?" He asked, probably wearing that smirk of him.

"Shut up. See you soon." I laughed, hanging up.

I threw my head back onto the couch, staring at the ceiling. Folding my hands onto my chest.

Exciting. That's what tonight sounded like.

A message from Kendrick notified me he was outside. I quickly put on my Vans and rushed downstairs.

Before I left I took a glance in the mirror. I looked cute if I could say that myself. I just tried to make myself feel like myself again, lately I hadn't been putting any effort into myself.

I had put my hair in a low bun and let some little locks fall around my face. I usually didn't really wear makeup but tonight I added some shiny gold to my eyelids and a little winged eyeliner. The gold really brought out the golden tones in my dirty blonde hair.

I stepped outside still putting on my jacket, the maroon hoodie I wore, nicely matched with the black puffer jacket.

"Hey." Smiling I sat down in Kendricks car.

When he didn't say anything I looked up at him, confused. Our eyes met and I noticed he had been staring at me.

My cheeks burned red immediately at his gaze. He seemed to not even notice me looking at him. His vibrant eyes roamed my face as he tugged at his hair.

"Whats wrong? Is my hair looking weird?" I asked while feeling my hair.

"Geez." He mumbled, looking away when he noticed me staring back at him.

"God, I will just wear a ponytail if its that bad." Sighing I moved my hand to my hair again. I thought it had looked just fine but maybe it wasn't that nice.

"No, fuck no." He quickly grabbed my hand, one of his brows raised. "You- I uh."

"What?" I awkwardly retreated my hand from his grip.

He locked his eyes with mine as he lowly spoke, "Did anyone ever tell you you're fucking gorgeous?"

My stomach tumbled, "W-What?" I stammered.

He pushed the clutch down with his left leg and shifted into first gear as he started driving. "You heard me correct."

Intently watching his hands work the gear, I frowned. I really hadn't seen this coming. He really did sound sincere though.

"Thank you.. I guess?" I finally spoke up, lifting the heavy silence that had been upon us. A warm fluttery feeling started to form in my stomach, making my voice a bit squeaky.

His teeth sank into his bottom lip as he looked over at me, trying to suppress a smile.

"You really are beautiful Ev, please stop doubting yourself."

I smiled to myself, looking out of the side window. The empty streets flashing by.

My heart was swelling, I didn't know how bad I had needed these words of validation. It's been a while since anyone even called me kind or pretty or anything. And I know that doesn't have to affect me or define me but sure it's nice sometimes.

After some time he pulled into the parking lot of Berry's, and as he looked over at me his eyes sparkled.

"C'mon, let's go eat and get your mind off everything."