Everly 2 - birthdaygifts

I got to learn things, learn them the hard way.

Playing some stupid game on my phone, I was laying down on my bed, waiting for Cameron to come over with his 'surprise' for my 20th birthday.

Usually he'd just bring me my favorite chocolate ice cream and those thin little waffles that would go with it.

So I was very surprised, to say the least, when I saw him holding a big cardboard box as he walked inside my room.

"Hey Ev" He greeted, a frown on his face as he seemingly was in deep thought before.

"Hey." I smiled nonetheless.

He carefully placed it on the ground while he demanded me to close my eyes. I immediately let my hands cover my eyes.

Suddenly I felt something soft being placed on my chest, he pulled my hands away and there I saw it. A little, grey haired kitten curled up on my chest.

"Happy birthday." He smiled at me.

Tears pricked my eyes as I sat up, carefully holding the little animal in my hands.

"Cam.. I-" I stammered, unable to form a proper sentence. Mesmerized by the little kitten on my chest I petted it softly with my fingers.

He gave me one of his million dollar smiles as he came laying down beside me on my bed. His cologne immediately filled my nostrils and I inhaled deeply as I loved the familiarity what came with his scent.

"What do you think of it?" He asked me, mindlessly trailing his fingers over my arm. He usually did that when he was in deep thought or when he was nervous. I couldn't really tell which one it was now.

I objected his handsome face for a time before answering. The bags beneath his bright blue eyes told me he must have been having his insomnia playing up again. His eyes stared off into the distance while still letting his fingers trail up and down my arm. His dirty blonde curly hair was messy as if he just got out of bed.

"It's amazing, why'd you do this?" I answered still focused on the precious little animal.

"I knew how much you loved Alex." He smiled, rolling right over my lower body to pet the kitten too.

I smiled up at him. He always was so thoughtful, I loved it.

Contrary to my dislike towards most people, I loved animals, so naturally I fell in love with Alex when Cameron got the cat for his 8th birthday. Sadly enough someone stupid ran it over right before Cameron would turn 13.

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Cam."

He didn't say anything but just turned his cheek towards me and smirked while tapping it. I got up holding the kitten carefully between my hands and my chest. Blushing I quickly pressed a kiss on his cheek. My lips felt the stubbles covering it.

"Ah, yeah, thats it." He closed his eyes, groaning while smirking self satisfied. I slapped his shoulder as I knew he was teasing me with my shyness about intimate things.

It still felt foreign to do, even after all this years I felt reluctant when it came to me touching him in ways that usually only couples or do.

He was way more open about us being best friends. He usually did things like messaging or calling me first. I always felt like he was too good for me, he didn't even make much time for his other friends. It may have looked like I claimed him and right that is the thing I didn't like about it. I didn't want to be the clingy best friend who didn't even let their best friend get girlfriends or do stuff like that.

But when I told him that, he'd laugh and change the subject, telling me that it was his own choice to not get girlfriends. And that he was my best friend because he cared about me.

Actually, I hated that he still cared so much about me. He'd rather shouldn't. Not after what I did. Not after I messed up someones life so badly.

I zoned out and my mind drifted off to around four years ago now. It was all so good back then, although my heart was hurting with unreturned love I still was happier than ever. 

"Ev?" He asked, his brows a bit furrowed and his eyes filled with an emotion I couldn't really place.

"Hm?" I responded, sitting against the headboard of my bed. He sat up as well, while spreading his arms, making it obvious he wanted a hug from me.

"Oh you're not getting a hug, little kitten may think we're his mom and dad." I laughed, scrunching my nose up at the thought. I softly laid the kitten down in the cardboard box again as it slept.

He pouted, trying to make a joke out of it. I shifted uncomfortably when I saw his eyes, they were filled with an unreadable expression. His brows a bit furrowed.

"Are you okay?" I tried asking, sitting on the edge of my bed, looking down at my fingers. I hated to make people feel hurt. Although I didn't even know what was wrong.

He grinned widely at me, the emotions nowhere to be seen anymore.

"Actually, very okay." He smirked, grabbing my waist to pull my back against him.

I let out a laugh as it tickled a bit, I tried to push him away by grabbing his own stomach.

He chuckled a bit but didn't budge and still held his hands around my waist.

"Stop doing that." I giggled. "You're going to wake him up."

Cam just chuckled again while poking his fingers into my sides deeper. "Don't worry, he's fine."

I squirmed under his grip as he firmly grabbed my waist and pulled me closer so my head was resting on his muscular chest. I twisted my head upwards so that I could see his face. He was looking down at me with an expression in his eyes that I hadn't seen before.

"What?" I asked, confused at his dazed look.

His electric blue eyes twinkled as the edges of his mouth turned upwards. "It's cute when you worry like that."

I smiled up at him and closed my eyes while snuggling against him even more.

"I'm going to name him Ricky.." I softly said.

A lazy smiled formed on his lips as I relaxed against his body and slowly drifted off into the darkness.