Ryder 8 - a new start?

wednesday 10.26pm

The bell of our apartment rang and I slowly got up from the couch where I had been playing video games just seconds ago.

Did the boys lose their key? We didn't have plans for tonight but since we didn't always make plans usually they'd come in with the key I gave them.

I pressed the button of the intercom and answered with a grumpy. "Yes?"

"Jason?" I heard a hesitant voice speak up. I couldn't clearly hear who it was neither could I see them because our camera broke.

"Jase? It's for you." I yelled down the hall.

"I'm busy Ry, go look who it is and tell them to come back later." Jason answered me, his voice muffled by the wall between the livingroom and his room.

Busy with his girl, he means.

Sighing I walked down the stairs to the front door, not bothering to put on a shirt.  I hated the fact we didn't have a camera, now I had to go down the stairs every time someone came to visit.

As I casually swung open the door I was met with an all too familiar face.

Everly. It was the first time we met after our conversation via text. We never completed our talk from back then. She'd started working with us last Friday, but more than only being polite wasn't there.

She was wearing a dark red scarf wrapped around her neck and her brown hair was spread out all over it from underneath her red beanie.

"Hey." She said, a nervous vibe coming off of her. Hugging herself she looked at the tip of her snow boot.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked, leaning against the doorframe, suddenly aware of the fact I had no shirt on as the winter coldness breezed over my hot skin.

"I came for Jason." She answered, her blue eyes scanning my face.

"I figured."

"So..... is he home or not?" She asked me impatiently.

"Can you step inside, it's getting a bit cold." I grinned gesturing to my chest.

Her eyes dropped to my chest and I smirked a bit. She's still affected by me, isn't she. So I was right.

Instead of making a comment about it I just lightly coughed to get her attention back.

She snapped out of her stare and her cheeks flushed a bit when she saw I had been following her gaze to my chest. "Uh Jason, he said I could hang out with him anytime when I needed company."

"He's busy."

The hopeful look on her face dropped as soon as she realized Jason wasn't all hers.

"B-But he said I could come over anytime." She looked like she didn't believe the fact that people have life's that didn't involve her.

Shrugging I replied: "Look Everly, whatever Jase says to make you feel comfortable at work doesn't mean that everything he says is true. Maybe next time text him first."

Fuck, I'm so used to snapping at her I don't know how to act normal anymore.

Her shoulders sagged down and her face fell.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have snapped." I quickly said.

She looked up at me and the edges of her mouth turned upwards.

"Ry, who's there?" Jason yelled from upstairs.

I rolled my eyes, looking at Everly before yelling back: "It's Everly, she says you two would hang out."

"Crap." I heard him mutter before yelling again: "Let her in dumbass."

I nodded unwillingly at Everly and let her pass to get up the stairs to our apartment.

Following her up I saw her halting on the doorway, she awkwardly looked around, but not for long as I put my hand on her lower back to push her inside.

"C'mon, don't be so shy now, I know you want to get it on with him." I sneered into her ear, her cheeks immediately turning a rose deep red.

Still getting worked up about every little tease, I see.

As we get inside Jason is sitting on the couch next to his girlfriend.

As I'm walking to the fridge to get a beer, Everly hesitantly stepped forward to Jason.

"Hey Ev." Jason grinned while giving her a hug and taking her coat. "Did the asshole use his manners?"

Handing Everly a soda before plopping down on the couch I scoffed, "No, making double dates is such a gentleman act."

He lets out a mocking laugh and pushed his girl in front of him.  "Everly, this is Lucinda, my girlfriend. Lucinda, this is Everly, my friend and future co-worker."

"Nice to meet you, girl." Lucinda smiled brightly at Everly, opening her arms to hug her.

I smirked thinking of the look probably shown on Everly's face, I knew she wasn't used to this kind of affection from strangers.

"Nice to meet you too." Everly smiled back, once Lucinda had let her go.

Grabbing my controller I switched my Playstation on again.

I then heard Lucinda whisper something into Everly's ear. "So.. are you and Ry a thing or what?"

Not even having to look up to know she was blushing I heard Everly slightly cough at the question. "No no we are not."

I just shrugged, thinking about the messages I had sent her on that night. I don't know, after I had spent the whole day with her at work it had made me annoyed. Annoyed that I couldn't have her, so I drank too much and I slipped up.

Jason and Lucinda were probably in his room again, because when I looked up after a moment I saw only Everly standing there. She looked completely lost fiddling with the soda in her hands.

"Ev." I spoke up before even comprehending what I did.

Her head snapped immediately towards me, and sounding unsure, as if she believed she didn't hear it right she answered: "Yeah?"

I just held my hand out with another controller. She got the hint and slowly got down on the couch right next to me and grabbed it.

"What do you wanna play?"

She shrugged, "You can choose."