Ryder 9 - caring

tuesday 5.23pm

Today was the 6th day that Everly was sick. She had gotten sick on the day she'd come over and had suffered from a severe fever those last few days. It was finally lowering but I have to admit I was scared for her health.

After she had slept in I had called her mom and explained why Everly wouldn't come home for the night.

She had been so understanding and I almost saw her tear up at my thoughtfulness. I really didn't want to let Everly go home with a fever that high, it was just plain dangerous to go outside and Everly's mom understood it. She also told me that Everly could stay here till she was getting better, her mom and dad had to go check up on her grandma because she was also stricken by a flu.

She had trusted me with her only daughter after I had hurted her that badly. Deep down I knew I did not deserve her, I wouldn't be able to give her everything she'd need. Everly needed more love and kindness than I would be able to give her.

But I was trying. I was trying to make up for those years, even though now it was just by taking care of her. I felt so lucky that Jason and I lived above the shop, because that way I could check up on her every hour. It wasn't like she had been awake for long times but still I wanted to make sure she was getting better.

I was just bringing her a new cup of water as I found her, actually my bed, empty. Confused I walked out of my room again.

"Everly?" I called out at the same time I heard her soft voice call for me.

"Ryder, I'm in the bathroom."

I sighed from relief and walked towards the bathroom, only to find the door locked.

"Everly? What are you doing?"

"I'm currently undressing myself." I heard her giggle.

God. Why did she have to say it like that, its not like we are anything.

"Ry? I'm kidding. I'm gonna shower."

I nodded, as I realized she couldn't see that I spoke up: "Are you sure? You're very weak.." Referring to her being full on sick those last few days.

The bathroom door slightly opened ajar and I could see her wearing my shirt. She just looked at me as I opened my mouth slightly.

"I- I could help you shower? You can keep my shirt on, I just want to make sure you're safe."

She nodded. Fiddling with the hem of the tee she stood there. "I wanted to ask if I could use the bathtub but I didn't want to bathe actually. So please if its not too much of your time, help me?"

I checked the the time and figured Jase could work on his own for a bit.

"Yeah, c'mon."

Walking after her to the shower as I saw how unstable she stood on her feet. Her legs wobbled a bit as she stood still. She clearly hadn't recovered completely yet.

I made her walk to my room again and get herself another towel, while I turned on the shower.

I made sure the water felt nice and warm enough for her. Turning on the room airconditioning and setting it to just warm enough she entered the bathroom again.

Trying not to completely be in awe I quickly looked her up and down. Even though she still looked sick she was beautiful. She looked wonderful in my long tee.

Her messy dark hair laid on her shoulders, she must have cut it not that long ago. Her blue eyes stood out in her paled face.

Leaning back against the counter I mumbled: "I- uh I already set up the shower."

She nodded and as she slowly walked to the shower, I could see that she had lost some weight over these past few days. Her arms looked slimmer than they did a week ago, for her that wasn't anything good. Her doctors always pressure her into staying on the same weight as she might get sick more easily with underweight.

It concerned me because her health has always been a struggle for her and this fever might have her recovery take much longer. Every bad fever she has makes her health even more unstable.

"Ry?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and realized she was already showering. My tee clung onto her body in a way that made me quickly snap my eyes somewhere else, to not make her feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't want that, I wanted her to feel safe, not violated.

"Do you think I could use your shampoo for my hair?" She asked, waving my bodywash in front of my face.

"First off all that's bodywash and second I think you could but I also can look in Jase's shower, for a shampoo of Lucinda."

She slightly grinned, "I know it's bodywash because you don't even have shampoo here. But if you want to take a look, please."

Rolling my eyes I nodded. "I will have a look but only if you sit down on the floor, I'm not taking the risk of you falling and hurting yourself now."

*.*

#AN

please vote and comment!