Everly 1 - the graveyard

Where are you now that I need you?

"You're sorry?" Ryder sneered, slowly stepping closer to me. The rage radiating from his body made me shiver. His shoulders looked even broader than usual. His nostrils flared a bit as his eyebrows were drawn into a frown. His eyes never seemed to leave mine.

Scared by his behavior I carefully took a step backwards, my back hitting a tree.

He stepped so close in front of me, I knew that I had myself back up even more against the tree. I felt myself shrink under his stern gaze. His challenging stare made me feel like the most pathetic girl ever.

His musky scent flowed through the air and filled my nostrils. I didn't want to smell it, I didn't like to be reminded of our past.

His dark brown curly hair fell over his forehead as he angrily looked down at me. His muscled right arm shot up and gripped ahold of my upper arm. His fingertips pressed into my flesh. I didn't dare to tell him he was hurting me as his brown eyes darkened.

"You, after everything you did, you dare to say you're sorry?!" He repeated again, his voice now toneless. His cold eyes flickered wildly from left to right, examining my face.

I tried to speak up but I couldn't find to form a proper sentence. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat but it wouldn't go away. I knew that I had to be careful with what I said to him.

Especially now.

I knew very well about his anger disorder and when he had an episode it hit him like a truck. The anger would usually overshadow his own thoughts. I knew from experience that when he got an episode like that it wouldn't look good for the person he targeted his anger on.

So I just continued to stare at his face. His face, so perfectly balanced between handsome and mysterious. I hated that I thought about him this way.

"What are you doing here anyway?" He asked me, in his familiar deep voice. His hand leaving my arm.

I closed my eyes and for a moment I hoped to feel the fear flow away, for just a bit. His voice used to be so calming to me, now it just brings up the past. And let me tell you, the past is everything but peaceful.

But it didn't. As I opened my eyes, mine met with his again. My nervousness crashed down upon me right away. I harshly bit my lip and I felt my eyes tear up as he disappointedly looked down upon me.

I hated it. I hated to be the one who made his life hell. I hated to be the one whose fault it was. Hated that I was the one who created all this mess. Especially hating the fact that I could have solved it.

But I couldn't do nothing anymore.

It was too late. Too late to turn back time.

He snapped me out of my trail of thoughts when he pinched my lower arm. I let out a little yelp as he just pinched my most sore arm.

"I jus- I just wanted to- to tell Zarah that-" I said but trailed off. My stuttering started playing up again. I quickly looked away from his eyes as I felt a lonely tear flowed down my cheek.

I took in the now a bit darkened cemetery. The moonlight lighted up a few gravestones. It was a lugubrious sight. I hoped to be long gone before it'd be completely darkened.

I heard him scoff at me but I didn't dare to look up at him. Knowing that if I did, he'd probably take that the wrong way. And I'd do anything to not get on his bad side, as that wasn't just his 'bad' side. It was worse than that.

"Tell Zarah what?" He pried.

"That I am s-sorry." I gave in. My voice wouldn't come out normally but had to be a wobbly, unstable voice which normally didn't belong with me. Another tear escaped my eye