Everly 3 - encounters

You can't be hard on yourself for it, these are the cards you were given so you have to understand that's not who you are. You know you're trying to be the best you can be, but that's all you can do. If you don't give it all you got, you're only cheating yourself give it all you got but if it ends up happening, it ends up happening.

Hugging myself I stepped inside the grocery store. It was fricking cold outside.

It appeared to be later then I thought when my eye fell upon the clock hanging above the service desk.

It was near closing time so the whole store seemed abandoned. The already half dimmed store brought an eerie feeling.

Right when I wanted to grab my favorite kind of toast I thought I saw someone moving. I glanced around a few times and took out my earphones to listen for footsteps but I didn't catch anyone being near me but it just felt like someone was watching me.

Shrugging off the feeling I plugged my earphones in again and turned the song on again.

Softly humming along the song I finished my list and headed towards the cash desk.

Of course there was no one in line so I could place my things on the desk immediately.

The familiar red haired boy behind the desk glanced curiously through his glasses.

"Hello, could you find everything?" He asked me kindly, as I paused the music.

"Yes I did." I answered, putting my things into my backpack already.

"Uh- I don't want to look like a creep but do you live far from here? It's getting late already." He asked me, while gathering my change.

The nerve he has. I can fricking walk those fifteen minutes home. 

I just shook my head and wanted to say I didn't live too far I felt a presence near me, right when I saw the red haired boy widen his eyes at it.

"She'd wish she did." A deep breathy voice sounded from next to me, even before I could look up I knew it.

Ryder.

I glanced up at him to see him staring down at me, while his eyes darkened. I hated that I felt so weirdly powerless around him, instead of behaving the way I wanted.

"Move."

I was so baffled by his presence I just kept looking at him. What on earth was wrong with this dude?

"Everly, move." He breathed into my ear, just close enough for me to take a step back from the closeness. A shiver ran down my spine from the way he had said my name.

"Just like that." He mumbled while putting his hand on my lower back to walk past me. Crushing my grocery bag between me and the counter.

He hastily threw a five dollar bill onto the desk, probably to pay for his yogurt and cornflakes before retreating throughout the doors.

His touch burned on my body.

"Do you know him?!" The cashier asked me, surprised.

I curtly nodded.

"Nosy much." I spoke under my breath.

He raised an eyebrow waiting for me to speak louder but I didn't react.

As I received my change I quickly left the store.

If that dumb boy had picked my change faster I wouldn't have met him.

I realized I could've known he'd be here, as I looked down at my watch.

Tuesday, 11.28pm to be exact. Around this time he was done with his boxing class and his usual walk home was past the grocery store.