Ryder 14 - one step ahead

monday 8.13pm

I noticed her almost immediately when I entered the diner with Lucinda at my side.

She had her back turned to me but I knew it was her. Her way of moving, her dirty-blonde hair and just her whole appearance.

I realized she was with Kendrick, just the two of them. So she wasn't lying after all, she could run back to Kendrick any time.

Lucinda seemed to notice me staring into their direction because she tugged at my sleeve. "C'mon Ryder, let's just enjoy tonight."

She walked up to a waitress and asked for a table for two. As the waitress motioned for us to follow her, I quickly glanced into Everly's direction. In that exact moment I knew I shouldn't have done that, as my eyes immediately met with Kendricks.

As I stopped dead in my tracks the momentarily surprised look on his face soon made place for a smug look. He knew exactly what he was doing. And it worked, it was already pissing me off.

"Ryder?" Lucinda loudly spoke, snapping me out of my stare. "You coming?"

I hummed, averting my eyes from Kendrick and finally followed her. We just came out of the hospital, where we had visited Jason. Lucky enough he was stable now but still by far not recovered. The doctors Lucinda and I had spoke to, expected it to be at least a few more weeks until he would be fine to work again. If not months.

We sat down in a booth on the other side of the diner. I knew Kendricks eyes were burning into my back, as Lucinda sat me down with him behind me on purpose.

"Did they see you?" She asked, curiosity sounding through her question.

Folding the menu open I nodded, "Kendrick did. Don't know about Everly though."

After a few minutes we could order our food. I decided to just take a burger menu and Lucinda just wanted some fries with onion rings. She never really had that big of an appetite but after Jason got into the hospital I noticed her barely eating. Still, I tried to make her at least eat something.

I remembered a time where I hadn't eaten much.. It was shortly after Zarah's dead, I was so fed up with everything I didn't even leave my room for like a week. When everything and everyone around me seemed unstable I had been content with the fact that I was in control of myself and the physical harm I brought upon myself.

"Ry, you okay?" Lucinda asked, making me snap out of my thoughts.

I nodded, taking a sip from my coke. "Yeah, I'm just a bit stressed you know. With all this going on."

Just as Lucinda opened her mouth to say something a waiter interrupted us. "There you go. Enjoy your meal together." The waiter set down our food and winked at Lucinda at which she rolled her eyes.

I tsk-ed jokingly, "Your boyfriend is in the hospital and you're out here flirting with a waiter, mhm."

Her eyes shot up to meet mine, widely open, clearly not catching onto the joke. "No, no I wasn't flirting, he was."

Laughing I nodded my head, "I know, I'm just joking Lucy."

She scoffed, "I knew that."

"Yea sure." I teased her.

For a while we sat in silence, just enjoying our food. It had been a while since we just could enjoy each others company. Every time something had came in between. Everything going on just stressed us out.

Me and Jason now owned the shop for 2 years and a few months. Lucinda had came around about 2 years ago I think. We hit it off immediately and became good friends. She had been around a lot so its not weird she knew a lot about me.

She knew my whole story with Zarah, and also what happened with Everly back then and now.

After work I had picked Lucinda up at her work and drove us to the hospital. When visitor hours were over we drove back to town. Both car rides had been filled with me explaining everything about today at work and what I was thinking.

The way Lucinda knew exactly what to say was so comforting. She made sure I saw my wrongs but also gave tips on how to salvage the friendship between Everly and me.

As I took a bite of the burger, someone tapped my shoulder. Confused I turned around and I slowly stopped chewing.

It was Kendrick.

"Sup Ry." He grinned at me before turning towards Lucinda. "And who's this pretty lady."

She smiled, "You must be Ryder's friend. I'm Lucinda."

Sitting in silence I followed every move he made, the nerve this guy had.

To be honest, I don't even know why I was so mad at him. It's not like I had anything to do with Everly and whom she was dining out with. It just made my skin crawl, my fingertips burn and my hands itch.

The rest of the conversation flew over my head, I didn't know what Kendrick was here for. Why couldn't he just stayed with Everly.

Kendrick snapped his fingers in front of my face. "Ryder?"

Annoyed I averted my gaze to look at him. "What?"

He grinned down at me, seemingly genuine. "Would you guys like to join us, Everly would like that too."

I frowned, did she? Why though? We didn't leave work on the best terms today.

"Didn't she tell you about the fight we just had?" I decided to be straight forward. There was no need in hiding the fact we fought.

Nodding he replied, "She did. But she told me that you guys are probably stressed from the hospital and would probably like some distraction."

Before I could say anything, Lucinda's face lit up. "Aww, that's honestly so sweet. We would love to sit with you guys. We're just finishing up our food."

Kendrick looked relieved, "Oh good." He pointed his thumb over his shoulder, "We're sitting over there."

As he walked away, we ate the last of our food.

I was waiting for Lucinda to finish her shake, as she suddenly looked up at me and started laughing.

"What?" I now annoyed, asked her.

"I just think it's funny how you and Everly always fight but she's the first to forgive you. You're an asshole to her and she doesn't even deserve you." She replied, still clearly amused.

My chest clenched together. "You think that's funny?" I brought out.

I knew damn well I didn't deserve Everly. Not after how I've treated her for years. I now see that I have been horrible, well I knew I was horrible but in that time it seemed like she deserved is.

My heart ached at the thought of the suffering I put her through. The harsh words and all the shit I pulled on her.

"Fucks sake. You're right." I grumbled, not even in the mood to object anymore.

"Yea I know." She nodded, grinning. "By the way I'm done with this shake. When we go sit with them I want you to take her outside and apologize because I'm not putting up with your shit anymore. She's a genuinely good girl and you treat her like replaceable garbage."

I groaned, putting my head in my hands. "If you say so."

Knowing all too well she was right.

A/N: Don't forget to vote & leave your thoughts!!