Everly 10 - what it is

You're as sick as the secrets you keep. But the truth is you can only be you.

Scoffing I shook my head. My mom was being crazy. "So only because I had a cold last month, I have to stay in?"

"Everly, you know how tiring a cold is for your body. Why are you being so stubborn."

I ignored her question as I turned around and stomped upstairs. I might be 20 years but my mom still acts like I'm this irresponsible 14 year old.

To be fair I knew damn well why she didn't let me go out. My body wasn't that strong against viruses or bacteria, which led me to get so sick from a minor cold. And the fact it was freezing outside might've not been helping a lot either.

But I just wanted to go out, I was supposed to go stargazing at the lake with Ryder and Cameron and three of their friends, Kendrick, Tanner and Mason. I had been looking forward to it since he asked me to go with them last week. His friends were so kind and funny and of course Ryder.. I'd be looking forward to get along with him again.

Laying down on my bed, wrapping myself in my blankets I zoned out.

Ryder had changed. He isn't who he was anymore. I see him tryna win me over, going just that extra mile just for me.

And it's not just that he is doing those things because he wants to feel good, its totally the opposite.. he is trying to make me feel good and he doesn't even care about if it would be of any advantage to him.

And that's also why I feel kinda bad I can't go with them tonight, he and his friends had planned this for us to try and get along again in an easy way. Tonight there's going to be a wonderful star gazing time, so we wouldn't be forced to talk to each other and with his friends around everything would be easier going.

Sighing I rolled over to grab my phone. I'm sure he'd understand.

Biting the inside of my cheek I dialed his number. He'd understand me, right?

"Everly?" His deep voice came through.

"Yea, I- I can't come tonight.." I answered.

"Why's that?" Curiosity lacing his words.

"My mom won't let me come over." I responded. "She wants me to rest and not take any risks regarding my recent sickness."

I heard him sigh on the other side. "My bad Ever, I should've kept that in mind.."

Of course he'd understand, hear how he's blaming himself now? That's Ryder for you. That's how you really see he learned from the things he did and is returning to his old self, before his bad time.

The line went silent for a moment until he spoke up again.

"But.." He let out a hopeful sigh. "Maybe there is another option?"

Smiling I replied. "I hope so? Maybe you and your friends could come over for a movie marathon? I'll have to ask my mom tho."

He chuckled, "That'd be a great idea, but only if your mom's okay with it."

"I'll let you know." I replied before hanging up.

*.*

"Mom? I'm sorry for being mad at you and acting so childish."

"What do you want now?" She laughed softly. "It's okay sweetie I understand it isn't nice to always have to look out for your health when you're an adolescent. But I was just looking out for you, and especially now your dad and I are going away for the weekend to visit Aunt Josephine. We don't want you to overstress yourself!"

I smiled regretfully. "Yes mom, I'm sorry."

"I wanted to ask if its okay if Ryder and a few of his friends come over later tonight so we can watch a few movies..?"

She smiled. "Yeah that's fine! Is Cameron coming too?"

"Yeah, he's coming too." I smiled. I knew why she was asking that, even after what had happened she still trusted him and his intentions.

"Do you want me to go upstairs so you all can be comfy? Dad and I are gonna drive around 1am so we need a bit of sleep before."

"Thank you, mom." I replied, happy I finally had something to look forward to...

A/N:

Thanks for reading!! Please vote and comment :)