Everly 4 - nightmares

Do we have enough time to salvage this love?

Shivering a bit I nuzzled closer into Camerons hard chest. His heavy cologne comforting as ever.

"I can't believe he knows.." I whispered, my eyes trained on any object in my darkened room.

When Cameron called me this evening I couldn't believe what he told me. Ryder saw my message to Cameron when he left his phone next to him on accident. Our secret friendship was bound to come out sometime but I still had hope it wouldn't.

I felt the vibrations in his chest as he started to talk. "Shh.. it's gonna be okay."

I shook my head worried. "No, its not Cam. He'll hate you like he hates me."

He softly pushed my head away from his chest to kindly grab the sides of my head to make me look into his eyes. "That's fine. He won't be mad at me for an eternity."

I smiled unsure, "He most probably will. He won't even think about forgiving me."

Slowly his fingers made a way through my hair and then he softly began to massage my temples. It felt heavenly and it gave me a distraction.

After a while of him quietly massaging my head, he just shook his head before pulling me into his chest again. The comforting warmth of his body radiated to mine.

We didn't speak for a moment so I thought about it again. I couldn't bear the thought of me losing another friend. My best friend.

I hated myself for the fact that I couldn't have been completely honest back then with a former friend like Ryder.

"Cam. I- I've been lying to you." I stuttered, closing my eyes. Afraid of his reaction, but feeling the need to be honest.

"What?" He just asked, his voice holding nothing like accusation or anger, just calmness.

"My nightmares have, uhm, have been getting worse and I don't know what to, to do with myself anymore." I stumbled upon my words.

Then I broke down within his strong arms.

—> Cameron's p.o.v.

Right there, in my arms, she collapsed into crying, I hated it. As selfish as that was I didn't want to see her hurting.

I carefully sat her down on the bed without breaking our hug. I pulled her onto my lap as I sat up against the headboard.

"Ev, it's okay. It's gonna be fine, we'll be fine." I whispered.

She was the most precious thing that ever happened to me so every sob made my heart break a little more.

I hated to know she was tortured with nightmares even more.

I slowly trailed her back with my fingers, hoping it would calm her down a little.

"Shh, just breathe, slowly." I whispered.

She calmed down a bit but there were still new tears forming and rolling down her cheek. My attempts to wipe them away didn't help.

"Cam, I- uhm, don't you think Ryder is more important than me?" She then spoke up, sounding unsure. "I- I mean, I mean maybe he still needs you like he did before?"

"Ems, don't worry. I'm here okay? I'm here for you now. I'm your best-friend." I said, my voice low.

One hand was trailing over her back, while the other held her head into my chest. I wish I could comfort her like this forever, so close to me.

After a few moments she slowly calmed down, only her heavy breathing was a sign that she had been crying.

A few minutes passed without one of us talking and I heard her breathing go more constant and her body going numb against mine.

Noticing she had fell asleep in my arms, I smiled to myself.

I laid her down and began to change myself.

Once I was finished I sat down next to her and before fully comprehending what I did, I let my pointer-finger trail down her half exposed ribcage down to her hip. Her body was so perfectly created.

A siren wailing in the distance made me finally realize what I was doing.

Quickly retreating my hand, I scrunched up my nose, I was literally admiring her body, in ways no best friend would. I shouldn't have done this.

But it wasn't like I planned to do it, it just happened. I don't know what has come into me those last days. I craved her touch, I wanted to spend every minute with her and I felt so weirdly happy around her.

Laying down next to her I inhaled her vanilla-like scent and I felt myself almost immediately relax against her. Hugging her tightly I felt my eyes become heavier and eventually flow away into the darkness.

—> Everly's p.o.v.

Something was going through my hair as I woke up. It was pitch-dark in here so I clicked on a little light. I relaxed as I found out it was Cameron.

"Cam?" I called out whispering.

His voice was raspy and deep as he breathed out near my ear: "Everly."

"You alright?

"No." He stated, sounding defeated. His fingers still making its way over my scalp. It felt so good I closed my eyes.

I felt his chest behind me heaving up a little faster. I rolled over into his chest as his arms pulled me closer. The stubbles on his chin tickling my shoulder.

"What's up Cam?" I asked confused. He'd never act so clingy.

"I loved her." He stated, breathless.

"Who?"

I felt him get up to lean on his elbows. His hands leaving my body.

"Zarah."

I nodded my head as if I understood where he was going with this. Even though I completely didn't.

"I did too, she was our best friend."

"You don't get it." He said, sounding desperate. "I was in love with her."

What?

"B-but Ryder.. he-? W- Did he know?"

"Yes."