Everly 7 - what happened back then

All the good girls go to hell, 'cause even God herself has enemies. And once the water starts to rise and heaven is out of sight, she'll want the devil on her team.

flashback to 2 years ago

{A/N: Cursive parts are little flashbacks with dialogue to even earlier ago.}

"Dear Lord." I hopelessly looked up to the dark sky. "If you're out there, please help me."

Currently sitting on a bench near the woods, I was waiting for the time to pass by.

Okay, I know it sounds insane but sitting here, in the dark, with no one knowing where I was, was somehow comforting me. It felt like an escape from everything else while in reality I was far from it, everything around me was shattering in pieces and I couldn't do anything about it.

I couldn't but try to figure out where it all went wrong.

*.•*

It all had started years ago, when I was 2 years old. My family had moved in town and we got to live a few houses down Ryders home.

Throughout the years our families had bonded so good they were practically always hanging out with each other. This resulted in the fact that Ryder and I became inseparable too, even better: we became best friends.

Once we got in school our friendship seemed to only get stronger. Ryder and I were one and a half year apart so he was in a higher grade than me but we didn't think that mattered. Ryder always let everyone know that one day we'd marry, so all the boys better backed off. I had always wanted us to, I think I've always liked him in a different way than he did.

We befriended another pair of best-friends: Zarah and Cameron, Zarah was in my year and Cameron in Ryders. We got along really well and so it turned out we hung out almost every free minute we got.

Then one time when I was fifteen, Ryder came up to me asking me to catch up after school, to 'talk'.

*

It was a breezy summer afternoon as we walked along the tracks in 'our' woods.

The atmosphere between us had changed and it made me feel anxious, was he going to 'break off' our friendship or even worse: tell me he was getting a girlfriend?

Then Ryder finally started talking.

"Everly?" His voice sounded like he was nervous.

I looked at him. "Yeah?"

"I- I uh got to tell you something." He stopped walking and now looked right into my eyes.

"I figured." I calmly stated, inwardly freaking out.

He sighed and ran his fingers through his dark hair, his eyes flickering over my face, searching for something as he stepped closer.

"Ever, I like you." He spat out, now backing away.

What? He definitely can't be meaning he like-likes me, can he?

"Uh- you mean you-?"

"Yeah Ever, I've been hiding this for too long now. I had to tell you and I know we're both young and you're even younger than me. You always told me you didn't want to get into relationships early but I just wanted to ask you this. Please be my girlfriend?" Grabbing my shoulders he looked at me, his eyes pleading me to say it.