Everly 9 - doing the right thing

It all seems so complicated.

Anxiously chewing down on my chewing gum I walked downstairs.

This evening I would go out to talk things through with Cameron. He's gonna pick me up and then we'll get some food I think.

Just as I finished putting on my shoes I heard his car pull up. Quickly grabbing my keys and my jacket I walked to his car. Just when it started to rain.

"Hi Cameron." I said as I sat down.

He looked over and his blue eyes locked with mine. "Hey Ev."

I noticed how his hand was nervously drumming on the gearstick.

We drove around in silence for a bit until he pulled into a parking spot next to the cemetery. I'm not really sure why he'd choose this exact spot but I got along with it.

As I really didn't know what I'd have to say I just sat there, waiting in silence. The only sound in the car was the rain hitting the windows and me fiddling with my keys.

"Look, Everly, I'm not really sure how to start." He finally spoke up.

"It's okay, take your time." I said softly.

He sighed. "I just want you to know I would be disappointed in myself too. I'd hate me too. I really really would hate me too. I want to say I'm sorry but I also know that's not enough."

It was so weird because I didn't know why but I felt for him, he was in love with Zarah just as I was in love with Ryder. We both didn't get anything out of the relationship Ryder and Zarah had.

Making the bet wasn't a good thing and it hurted me to think about the fact my now best friend Cameron would've planned such thing against me. Like who in their right mind thought that that would be a good idea?

But also on account of Cameron I see why he did it.

"I get it." I replied. "I see why you did it."

Cameron turned his head towards me and looked at me like he didn't hear me.

"What?"

"I said, I get why you did it. I mean I understand."

"But why? Why would you understand that we did such a horrible thing?"

"Because you were in love with Zarah. You knew she didn't like you back but you still wanted to make her happy. And even if she was happy with Ryder in a fake relationship to get back at me and not with you.

"You're a good soul Cam, I know you were drunk when you and Ryder made that bet. Your intention was never to hurt me, you were looking at Ryder and Zarah.

"You also know it has hurted me like I was living in hell. Some time ago I have spoken with Ryder about everything. I understand why you guys did this. I'm not saying I'm agreeing but I think I might be able to forgive now." I finished my rant.

He stared at me, his eyes watery. "I don't deserve this. Heck- I don't even deserve you. After all we've put you through you're still forgiving us- me?"

I nodded. "It's not all about me here. It has hurt me so badly and I still have to grow and recover from all this but I know I've become a lot stronger and I've seen my worth and how much I didn't deserve this all. That has helped me grow and without this all I wouldn't be here in this mind-state right now. But it's also about you two. You two saw why what you did was wrong and that's a good thing. Not seeing your mistakes only works against you."

He nodded, understanding where I came from.

"So I want to forgive you. I hope you'll be the friend for me when Ryder put me through that after Zarah's death. I know this is a weird thing to go through in a friendship but I guess it'll only make us better friends. And I'm not saying I think our friendship was fake, I'm only saying that you shouldn't change for the worse because you feel bad. I forgive you." I finally added, taking a deep breath.

It was so hard for me to put this into words but the amount of time I'd overthink this conversation at night had really put perspective into this all.

Cameron let out a breathy sigh. "Thank you. I am really sorry for what I did and I want nothing more to still stay friends."

He moved his body my way and seconds later I was engulfed into a firm hug. His cologne met my nostrils and I felt my body relax. I trusted him.