Ryder 15 - wanting to move on

wednesday 6.24pm

As my mom handed me over my plate of food I sighed. Pushing the food around with my fork, I yawned. I didn't even have the slightest appetite. To be honest I hadn't been eating much since the thing had happened with Everly at the diner. A few weeks ago now. I just hadn't been having the best time lately.

"Ryder?" My mom asked, sounding concerned, "Are you okay? You should eat something. And I made your favorite food, right?"

"Yeah mama, I'm fine. Just a bit stressed." I clarified, rubbing my forehead while actually taking a bite to change up that subject. The food didn't taste good, I stated to myself as I harshly swallowed a non-chewed chunk of potato.

As Wednesdays were the day we'd usually spend dinner at my parents house, Cameron was also invited. He was talking about his work with my dad. My parents liked him. A whole lot.

I never knew exactly if they would've wanted me to be like him or me to be him. They used to compare us, with school and sports. They wouldn't have his scores against me, they were perfectly fine with me doing the best I could. But still they'd ask us both our scores, at the same time. Even if mine weren't always enough. And it wasn't like they gave me a feeling they didn't want me, but still. It felt like he was better than me at many points.

Honestly, I regretted coming over to my parents house. The thing I wanted the least right now was them prying into my business. My mom and I already had more than enough talks about how she thought I was abusing my relationship with Everly.

The fact that even when she knew so little, she still knew how disgustingly I had treated Everly. How I still treated her.

It wasn't like they brought the subject up, but I felt like they all knew something and I didn't. Like they wanted to ask me things about it but didn't.

I hated that Everly was the one keeping my brain all occupied lately. I didn't even want her to but she still is. I still wanted her. But how could I have her if she already was somebody else's?

We had been working together ever since the fights happened, avoiding each other at all cost. Saying nothing more than the things that actually were important to the shop.

Also Jason still hadn't fully recovered. A month ago the doctors thought it would take up around 3 months to fully recover but now they didn't think it'd be fine by then. The mental damage the accident had done to him wasn't even quite the same as the physical. I actually missed him, even though he was cared for at our apartment by Lucinda. I hadn't had the chance to talk to him yet, because he was sleeping most of the time or too groggy to handle.

"I need to go." I spoke up, shoving my chair backwards. "I have to do some things for work."

My mother sighed, looking up at me. "You haven't even eaten that much. Do you want me to pack you some?"

Cameron quickly chewed a bite of food before standing up too. "Wait Ryder, can you drop me off?"

I nodded to my mom as I scanned Camerons face. "Okay."

He grinned, "Thanks man. Kelly dropped me off earlier because she needed my car."

Kelly was Camerons older sister, Cameron and I had an age difference of 5 years with her.

When I started high school together with him, she used to hangout with the both of us whenever she was in town. She had attended an university in a bigger city nearby, that's when Cameron started living at ours.

-

Reversing my car off the driveway I looked over my shoulder. A car drove behind us. As they had passed I drove after them. The car looked hella familiar. The grey shiny metal grabbed my attention the moment they drove by.