Everly 8 - a second chance?

i'm sorry that you can't get over me.

It wasn't long before we were both caught up in the game. It felt so strange doing something together with Ryder again. It was unusual, but on the other side it was like we never left each others sides.

"Ev, watch out!" I heard Ryder yell into my ear as I tried to maneuver my Call of Duty figure through the city.

"Wait where?" I panicked while turning circles with my eye viewer.

He exasperatingly sighed as he looked up from his phone again, "Behind you."

But it was already too late, a fatal headshot made that I had to start over again.

"I quit. I can't do this." I sighed while handing the controller back.

His hazel eyes focused on me and his plump lips slowly turned into a sly grin, showing off his perfect straight teeth as he bit into his lower lip.

He thoughtfully looked at me, his eyes scanning my face. "I think I know what you're in the mood for."

"What?" I asked, raising a brow. I didn't like the tone he was using, as I already knew that I would give in to whatever he'd propose.

He just grinned and grabbed a pack of cigarettes.

He took one out as he leant back on the couch while he stuck it between his lips before lighting it. He inhaled and blew out the smoke again.

I wanted to say something about it but I didn't dare to open my mouth. Scared he would snap again.

Putting his hand on my knee, he leant towards me, he replied: "You're probably up for a-"

His words were cut off as his phone rang.

"Ryder." He answered grumpily while putting the phone on speaker, as he stood up to walk to the fridge.

"Hey Acey, you coming to Kens tonight?" An excited manly voice came through. I didn't recognize his voice though.

"Fuck off and no, I'm not, I'm here with Everly." That sounded weird.

"Oh? So y'all finally gonna get some?" I could hear the boy smirking on the other side.

"Answer that for yourself pretty boy." He grinned at the last words as he handed me a can of coke.

It grossed me out, I felt like they really thought about me like that. Just like I was an object to just use. I know Ryder wasn't really like that but still, what did I know now?

Ryder probably saw my face expression change because he put the phone off speaker and continued his conversation but not before mouthing a 'sorry'.

After he hung up the phone he grabbed the controller again. I just shook my head when he asked if I was up for another game. He shrugged and asked me to get us some snacks then. I popped some popcorn and I stayed with him on the couch.

I zoned out while watching him gaming and realized I still wasn't ready to let Ryder in completely. I was lowkey scared it would end again. And I'm sure my heart wouldn't bear another heartbreak. But what was there to lose?

-

"Ev, Everly?"

I kept my eyes closed and snuggled deeper into my pillow, as if the voice would go away.