Chapter 20 (edited)

Xavier's POV:

The next morning I woke up and went straight to the basement, it have been fucking with my head the whole night, who would want Claire dead and why?

I need fucking answers and that dickhead better be willing to give them to me because I'm in no mood for games today.

Reaching the basement I went in without wasting a second. Walking in my eyes fell on that sorry excuse of a man.

I smirked looking at his half-dead state, Oliver did a number on him, all his nails were picked out, and he was missing his front teeth. His eyes and lips were swollen badly, one arm seemed broken. Overall he was barely alive.

I walked to him as Oliver grabbed his hair and made him look at me, my smirk grew wider.

"You're a fucking monster!" He spits out blood as Oliver stabbed a knife in his already wounded shoulder making him scream.

I chuckled darkly bending down to his height and whispered "Tell me something I don't already know"

I stood straight fixing my suit "Now, we all know you're not walking out of here alive, those who sent you have abandoned you in my hands to die" pulling out my gun I removed its safety and aimed for his head.

"If you tell me who sent you and why I'll make it quick and less painful" I said pressing my gun onto his forehead "but if you deny any further, you won't get to die so easily, I'm sure you know what I'm capable of" I said looking at him with a sinister smirk.

"This is your end, Xavier! Fuck you and fuck her! You can't protect her from them! Last night was just the beginning of your downfall, now that they've found your weakness they will slaughter he-" I fired, ending his life in an instant before he could finish his sentence. I knew these fuckers were after her, but who are they?

Looking at his lifeless body as Oliver pushed it away and it fell on the ground with a loud thud.

"Was he talking about Claire?" Oliver asked confused.

I sighed and nodded running my hand through my hair in frustration.

"But why? And who would wanna hurt her?"

"I don't know yet but whoever these people are will pay, but for now I need to make sure she's safe" I spoke walking out as Oliver followed me.

"You're right, I'll get my men to get as much information on these people as I can, I'm sure she'll be safe at the mansion"

I gave him a stern nod and walked away getting in my car and drove off as my mind wandered uncontrollably.

Why do I feel this strong need to protect her from all this danger when I brought her in intending to kill her? Why do I wanna keep her safe? Why can't my heart settle with the thought of her being hurt in any way possible?  Before this, I didn't even know that I had a heart.

I let out a deep sigh trying to push the thoughts away, no matter what, I need to protect her. But Is she really my weakness..?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire's POV:

I woke up feeling out of breath, another nightmare.

I wiped my forehead and sat straight. When will I get rid of these dark memories..?

I looked at the time and it was 9 am. I stretched my arms as I let out a loud yawn.