Chapter 1

Padgett Eve:

I was walking through the staircase, making my way to my father's study. One of the maids informed my father had called me to his study. I was afraid of my father, and shocked to why he called me to his study, because he rarely calls me to his study.

Thousands to thoughts rushed through my mind when I was infront of the door to his study, with my hand positioned to knock on the door. What will happen? Is he going to hurt me again? Is he going to disown me? Shooking all of my negative thoughts, I placed a soft knock on the door.

" Come in" a cold, and harsh voice shouted from inside. I slowly twisted the knob and entered in the study. I was standing by the door when my father odered me to come closer to his desk, I hesitently and cautiously walked and stood infront of his desk. "You are getting married to Colton Blake." my father said and I felt my body go numb and my palms were now sweaty than before. He told me this so easily like it was a game.

"Tomorrow is your engagement" hearing this I felt the world just stopped for some seconds. I hesitently moved my eyes to face my father which were till now fixed on the floor, I softly said "P-please, n-no father I -I c-can't." After a few seconds a rough hand came across my face and my right cheek stung like hell, my face was also tilted towards my left. "You dare to disrespect me!?" My father blurted out his voice was full of venom which was slowly killing me.

"You bitch! I did not ask you, I was fucking odering you! You have no other choice. Colton Blake is willing to help my company if I let him marry you." This is it, I kept thinking that my father was good he just did not let people think good of him, but my whole life it was a lie, he just used me for business, he used his own blood for business. "P-please father I c-can-" he did not let me finish but grabbed fistfull of my hair and pulled it back making tears flow more. " I see you're quite grown up now that you disobey your own father now, huh!?" He said pulling my hair resulting my scalp to hurt like hell. "You're getting engaged tomorrow, that's final. Now behave like a good girl and get married, let me live in peace, do as I say or else I will have to teach you a lesson", with that he left my hair yanking me to the cold floor of his study.

"Get out" he said that and walked back to his chair and not even sparing me a glance. I picked myself up from the floor and went to the door. As I was walking to my room I was shivering miserably. As i was walking to my room all the servents were watching me cry. They all had a pity look on thier faces but couldn't do anyting because of my father.

As I reached to my bedroom I threw myself on my bed and started sobbing into my pillow. My life was going to ruin in front of my eyes but I couldn't do anything. I sat on my bed, looked over to my bed-side table, took my mother's potrait and hugged it close to me. These are the times I miss my mom the most. I close my eyes hoping to rest for a while, but as soon as I close my eyes, all those dreadfull daus when my father used to beat me up for my small mistakes, the time I thought I was wrong and deserved a beating came to my mind.

The latest one was yesterday when I had walked to the kitchen to grab something for brunch. I had my headphones assuming my father had gone to the company, but I was wrong, he was sitting in the living room with his guest. I was not allowed to leave my room if there was a guest in the house, unless my father wanted me to so. He left bruises on my arms which were covered today because the wheather is quite chilly and I am wearing a warm knitted sweater.

I was deep in my thoughts until I heard a knock on my door. It surely wasn't my father because he just barged in and never knocked."C-come in" I said wiping my tears and making my hair presentable. It was Amelda, the housekeeper and the one who was there when my mother left me, she was there in the house since my birth. She was someone who I considered family, so I couldn't controly trears abd started crying again.

Seeing me cry she immediately came to me and pulled me into a warn hug, something I really needed and which calmed me down. "Ssh.... Just relax everything will be alright, you endured it till now, just a little more, Ssh..". Her words were soothing and comforting me, "B-but I-I-I am g-get-ting m-married to someone I don't e-even k-know." I managed to say this between my sobs hoping she would understand and she did. "Have patience, sweetie. You just need to trust God, for He will surely help you, if not now then maybe sometime later, but soon." She said this and released me.

"Come have your lunch, it's time. I bet you didn't have your breakfast properly." She said with a smile. I had lost my appetite and was feeling very tired after what father told me, so I politely denied her. She requested for the second time but understood my situation and left my room.

I went to the bathroom took a shower, washed my face, then decided to take a break from all the things and took a nap. By the time I woke up it was dinnertime so I washed my face and then slowly made my way to the dining area. On the table I saw my father eating his dinner. As I came my plate was kept in front of me and I started eating. Soon I completed my dinner and was about to stand up but my father called me. "Padgett" he said in his usual cold and arrogant voice, "Y-yes father?" I replied whith sweaty palms.

"I will send the dress to your room for tomorrow, make sure you are ready by 12:00." He said reminding me of that damn engagement,"O-okay father." I replied with tears in my eyes, wanting to go to my room this instant, he hummed in response and I went to my room.

I came to my room, calmed myself down and just slept, praying that everything will be fine tomorrow.