ch1

1. A Lucky Cat is Born

"Ding! Player Bai XiaoYu's iris and fingerprint IDs are set. Full-body scan complete. Bank of Earth bank account bound. Do you wish to continue to Character Customisation now?"

"Yes." Bai XiaoYu lightly tapped on the "Yes" button in the dialogue box before him. He only saw that everything around him whirled into a blur. When he adjusted his vision, a huge mirror was standing right in front of him. The him in the mirror looked exactly like him in reality except he would definitely not wear the novice equipment he's wearing now - a white t-shirt with suspender shorts.

"Please adjust your appearance and height, with a difference of up to 50% either way." The cold voice of the server rang out once more. Beside his reflection in the mirror, there appeared a whole bunch of plus and minus symbols. Bai XiaoYu thought, these are probably used to adjust his appearance.

However with the many buttons for adjusting his appearance all tightly packed together, Bai XiaoYu was so overwhelmed that his vision blurred. If he really wanted to adjust each and every minute detail, he'd probably spend more than an hour.

"Do not adjust." He who hated troubling himself promptly chose not to adjust anything. He had essentially zero friends in real life anyway. Even if someone has seen his real appearance before, no one would even come forward and talk to him.

"Please enter your game ID." In the blink of an eye, the mirror disappeared. A blank text box and a transparent keyboard materialised in front of him.

Bai XiaoYu didn't pause for a single moment and instantly entered the username he had chosen before entering the game, "LuckyCat".

"ID: LuckyCat. The name is available. Confirm?"

"Confirm."

"Player Bai XiaoYu. Game ID: LuckyCat. Account created. Do you wish to enter the game?"

"Yes."

"Welcome, LuckyCat,to Asgard Online. The system will send you a random gift. Please check your mailbox. As LuckyCat is using a smart game pod, 800 Earth Dollars will be automatically deducted from the player's bound bank account every 30 days. When the account's balance is insufficient, the system will kick the player out of the game. Players can look up their bank balance through the System Menu. Happy gaming!" (Since smart game pods require nutritional solution, the monthly fee is 800 ED. The monthly bill for gaming beds are 300 ED. )

A series of strong and blinding white rays flashed by. Bai XiaoYu had to shut his eyes. When he opened them once more, he found himself standing in the middle of a meadow. To be exact, he stood on a floating oval piece of land that is roughly as large as a football field with only a 10 metres-long bridge leading to a castle on another similar floating island. This should be the Novice Training Camp mentioned in the introduction.

A cool breeze blew around him. XiaoYu shivered. It's probably because he's standing in the middle of the sky while wearing such light clothes. The emptiness all around him felt exceedingly eerie and desolate.

It's not an unusual sight. The game has already been launched for over a year. Other than those who commit suicide to start over again or those who'd just come of age and be legally permitted to play online games, there shouldn't be any more new players. Naturally, it's rather improbable for people to appear on this floating Novice Training Camp.