ch39

39. Comfort

XiaoYu had never thought he'd be hated as much as he was by that swordsman. While his clumsy social skills meant he didn't have many friends, his gentle and persistent personality along with his cute kitten-like face meant no matter how much his classmates ignored him no one would bully him.

However, today showed him there was someone in the world who hated him so much they wanted to kill him every time they met just because of a rejection. Even the tiny cat was a target. Is this what they called the ugly face of humanity? If they can't have it, they'll destroy it?

The air suddenly felt cold. A If a player wasn't in a special zone, they weren't meant to feel any noticeable temperature changes in the air. Still, XiaoYu felt a numbing chill spreading from within his body out to his skin. He closed off all chat channels. He hugged his knees tight against his chest. He won't cry because he was killed, but he needed some time to calm his emotions.

"...meow." The small cat paced round its depressed owner. It knew he had lost a lot of blood when protecting it just now. It looked so painful, likely even more than when it had hit its head against the table. But it didn't know what it can do to help.

****

"...In conclusion, Prole-3 should be the hardest to conquer but the easiest to defend among all the number three fortresses. Sakura-3 will probably fall during the next battle." The players from Heretic Demons had yet to leave the room they booked for loot splitting. They still had the room for a while longer. Just enough for them to chat and have a mini-meeting.

"Also, we have our usual meeting tomorrow afternoon, Chief. I'll be at your place around ten tomorrow morning. Is that okay?" asked I_Am_A_Poor_Man.

"Mn," HereticKing grunted in reply.

"Yosh." I_Am_A_Poor_Man stood up and stretched. "I wonder what Lil Lucky's Level now. I have a few beginner recipes for him that I forgot about just now."

As he said so, he pulled up his Friends tab and looked for XiaoYu's icon.

"Ah. What a shame. One more level and he could go for his Job Change quest too." Upon noticing the tiny 49 showing beside XiaoYu's icon, I_Am_A_Poor_Man sighed with pity.

"Impossible!" HereticKing exclaimed.

"Why would I lie to you?" I_Am_A_Poor_Man replied.

"How can it be...?" It was near impossible for someone to die during the first two Job Change quests. All that's required was time, especially since healers were a naturally weak class. Thus, their Job Change quests were simpler than any other class's. How could XiaoYu have lost a level?

"What's going on, Chief?" HereticKing's reaction felt rather strange to I_Am_A_Poor_Man. His gut was telling him there might be some issues with LuckyCat's current Level.

"I just reminded him to do his Job Change quest an hour ago," came the reply.

"... You're saying Lil Lucky has died once in the past hour? How is that possible?" As a healer himself, I_Am_A_Poor_Man knew for a fact the second Job Change quest was not a difficult quest. That meant...

"He was killed by another player?" I_Am_A_Poor_Man voiced out his guess.

"Chief, look at the guild chat," Below_The_Moon who had been sitting quietly to the side suddenly piped up. When the meeting concluded, he had reopened the muted Guild Chat channel and started reading through the previous messages. He was thinking of finding a few bored guildies to help him collect materials for his traps.