ch74

74. Moving

XiaoYu's arms reached out into the air and stretched. A glance outside showed it to be another bright and sunny day. Perhaps it was from the great weather, perhaps it was because XiaoYu had finally let his emotions loose. XiaoYu felt like his body was lighter than ever. However, when he thought back to how he had bawled before QiYao yesterday, he had the urge to dig a hole and bury himself in it.

Today, he'll have to organise his luggage and decide what to pack. XiaoYu surveyed his room. He opened up his closet and scanned it. He didn't have a single clue on where to start.

This wasn't like packing for a holiday or a camping trip. He wasn't just packing for a few days. The number of days he'd be staying at QiYao's place was an unknown number. So how much clothing should he pack?

As he was stuck pondering, his phone started ringing from the living room.

"Did I wake you up, XiaoYu?" QiYao was secretly calling XiaoYu in the middle of his busy workday from his private office. The reason's simple. He missed XiaoYu. While waiting for XiaoYu to answer the call, he was wondering if it was too early for a call. Would he see XiaoYu with bed hair? What he was met with was a confused XiaoYu instead.

"No. I was awake for a while now," replied XiaoYu.

"What are you doing? You're frowning," QiYao said, pointing to his own brows. XiaoYu looked troubled. Had he gone spiralling down in doubt again?

"Yeah, um...I don't know what I should pack."

"Hehe. You just need to prepare some of your own personal products. You can come back for something at any time if you want to after all." QiYao didn't mind making a few more trips. He could use those trips to help XiaoYu overcome his trauma.

"True." It wasn't like XiaoYu would never return, even if every trip out would be a huge hurdle for him. "Did you need me for something?" he asked.

"Nothing. I just miss you."

"Hehe..." XiaoYu couldn't help but feel bashful at how straightforward QiYao was.

"You haven't forgotten about my braised pork, right?"

"No. I've already gotten the ingredients."

"I look forward to it."

QiYao's stomach started complaining just then. It was near lunch break. However, when QiYao finally hung up, his eyes gradually hardened into a solemn gaze. The computer monitors before him were filled with numerous news articles on a single headline. Frankly, they can't be called news. They were from last year.

As victims were protected by the law to an extent, their full name and photos were never publicly disclosed in the news. Thus, the XiaoYu in all these reports had been processed and altered. Still, if someone really wanted to, they could still recognise the figure being squished by a crowd of reporters as XiaoYu.

Unfortunately, the focus went from sympathy for the dead to a discussion of whether humanity should completely rely on automation for safety. This exploded into a great debate all over the world and the most direct victim of the incident, XiaoYu, quickly faded away from the public's attention.

XiaoYu looked so much thinner in those articles than he did now. QiYao could just imagine just how much pressure XiaoYu was under, how much pain he was in, from those images.