ch4

4. The Capital Prole

So that he could reach Level 10 as fast as possible, on the second day Bai XiaoYu decided to have a look around the village and complete some quests. Thus the tiny lucky cat dejectedly became a pretty corpse sunbathing over his shoulders because quest rewards were all transferred straight into the players' hands. It couldn't even pick anything up. It just showcased its passive skill being triggered. All quests he completed had an additional 10% to 50% gold reward.

With a few small dried fish he'd bought from the game system's pet shop, he teased the kitten from time to time. He walked through the village looking for kill quests, something to make it a little more energetic.

Whether it was because his luck was just too strong or terrible, most of the quests were just errand quests like delivering lunch and letters. He found a few fetch quests that required him to gather items from the monsters near the village, but due to the hours he'd spent battling yesterday and the tiny lucky cat's inventory has yet to be cleared of non-equipment items, all requests were fulfilled as soon as he received the quest. He'd instantly obtain the quests' rewards.

After looping round and round the village for half a day, he finally found a kill quest that afternoon: kill 30 of the small grey wolves that have been harassing the villagers. Location: the Nameless Mountain.

XiaoYu looked behind him. It was probably referring to the mountain just behind the village. He bought some food and potions, and headed off for the mountain.

The game called it a mountain but it's just a slightly taller mound of dirt than usual. Ignoring a bunch of wild rabbits, it was halfway up the mountain before he found Level 7 to 9 tiny grey wolves lounging around.

They really are tiny...grey wolves. They weren't just a tiny bit lacking compared to the tall fierce wolves Bai XiaoYu had imagined. They were just a smidge larger than the tiny lucky cat. True, what new player would have the strength to kill large wolves. The most they could do is torment the wolves' children. He'd much rather believe it was the villagers harassing the wolves than these itsy-bitsy wolves harassing the villagers.

But a quest is a quest. After over an hour of slaughter by himself (the tiny lucky cat was observe-and-collect-money-ing), he finally killed 30 small grey wolves. With a lazy stretch, he began heading back to the village. Just as he did so, an earthshaking howl echoed through the mountain.

Shoot. Could it be the big grey wolf had come seeking vengeance because he'd killed too many of its children? He turned around to find a great big grey wolf as tall as a man, with red eyes, sharp teeth and the words "Great Grey Wolf, Boss, Level 15" shimmering above its head, running straight at him.

Bai XiaoYu didn't pause for a single moment and dashed right down the mountain with TinyLuckyCat in his arms. Is this a joke? He's only at Level 9. To boost the power of his skills after becoming an Acolyte, he'd spent all his points on Intelligence. There was not a single chance he could go against this boss.

However, it's a pity that he himself forgot about his pitiful 5 Dexterity. He can't even run away from the raging boss. When he transformed into a ray of bright white light, the only thought in his mind was: next time, he must not forget to buy Return Scrolls.

Depressed, the big and small lucky cats sat beside the Revival Point in the Newbie Village and sighed for the nth time. Although he'd reduced the Pain Sensory setting to 10%, the sting of death would always break one's heart.