6- Two Goodbyes

Ladybug's POV

I head to Adrien's house. He's home now, sitting at his desk on his computer. I open the window without knocking and drop in his room, rain dripping off my suit. "Adrien—"

"Ladybug? What are you doing here?" He spins in his chair and looks at me. "What's wrong?"

"We need to talk. This is serious." I grab his hand and lead him over to the couch. How can I say this without crushing Adrien's heart? "We need to break up. This will be the last time you ever see me."

His eyes widen. "What?! Ladybug, what happened?"

My shoulders shake as I sob and explain what happened with Hawkmoth's trap and the look-alike sentimonster. Adrien was doing a last-minute commercial for his father's new perfume, which is why he wasn't home earlier.

But how did Hawkmoth know that?

"Hawkmoth knows my secret identity now. It's not safe to be Ladybug anymore. It's not safe for me to be with you." I grab Adrien's hand. "We... we can't be together anymore."

"But we can fix this, Ladybug." Adrien pushes my wet bangs out of my face and I avoid eye contact as his warm hand cups my cheek. "You always fix it. Please, I can't lose you."

I close my eyes and feel a tear sneak down my face. "I wish it didn't have to be like this, but everyone I love is in danger because of my mistake. My family. My friends. You. I have to give up my miraculous."

Adrien shakes his head. "No. You can't!"

"I have to, Adrien!" I stand up and turn my back to him. I can't bear to look at him while I break his heart. "It's the only way to keep everyone safe. I won't be gone forever. Though, I don't know how long it's going to be. It could be days, weeks, months, or even years. I don't know. I don't know anything!" I hug myself and sob harder. "I don't know how to fix it this time and I don't think I can. As long as Hawkmoth is a threat to Paris, I can't be around. I'm sorry, Adrien. You know I would do anything—everything—if there was another way. But there isn't. It's too late to change things."

"Ladybug..." Adrien grabs my hand and spins me around, tilting my chin up to meet his eye. "I don't want to wait days or weeks or months or years. I don't want you to go. I don't care. I don't care how dangerous it is. I want you in my life. Please, tell me who you are and I'll help you. My father and I will help you. You know I'd do anything for you."

I take a step back. "No, Adrien. I can't. You can't know who I am yet. Some things are better left unspoken." I lift a hand and cradle his delicate face. "It's going to be so hard staying away from you, always wondering if you're okay or not, so a close friend of mine is going to keep an eye on you."

"Who?"

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng," I answer and his eyes widen. "You know her, right? I'll be okay knowing she's watching over you. I don't want anything to happen to you." I wrap my arms around him and hide my face in his shirt. He smells so good.

Adrien kisses my forehead. "Goodbye, Lovebug."

"Goodbye, Buttercup."

"I love you," He whispers in my ear as I pull away.

I take in a deep breath. "Okay. Now I have to go say goodbye to someone else. Hopefully that cat will answer my call this time. Bug out, Adrien." I blow a kiss and wave as I run and jump out his window.

The rain falls harder as I call Cat Noir and leave a voicemail. "Hey, Kitty. We need to talk. Meet me at our spot." I hang up. Cat Noir and I claimed this spot on a rooftop that overlooks the Eiffel Tower. It has the most beautiful view every single night.