11- Strawberry Waffles

Marinette's POV

One Week Later

I wait for Adrien at the bottom of the staircase in the foyer. This has been our routine for the last week. We eat breakfast together, ride to school together, and come home together. Always together. All of our time is spent with each other. I'm not complaining, of course. I love Adrien. I'm used to being around him so much as Ladybug that I'm not nervous around him anymore. It's killing me, not being Ladybug anymore, and I miss Tikki so much. I always catch myself taking to myself and sometimes even go on for long sentences before I realize. The only thing I miss as much as Tikki is kissing Adrien. I'm having withdrawals and it's driving me crazy. Part of me wants to tell Adrien everything, but I can't.

Not until Hawkmoth is defeated.

Besides, Cat Noir would be mad if he weren't the first person I told my secret identity to.

"Good morning, Marinette," Adrien cheers as he comes downstairs. "Sorry I took so long."

"Busy styling your hair?" I tease, reaching over to mess up his blonde locks. "Trust me, I've been there."

"No," He laughs. "Just finishing up homework."

Adrien and I walk into the dining hall where breakfast waits for us on the table. Today's food: strawberry waffles. I requested that and Adrien's personal chef listened. That makes me feel special. "Yes! I've been craving these."

"Waffles?"

"Not just any waffles. Strawberry waffles," I correct. "My mom makes them every Friday morning before school." I take a bit and sigh at the nostalgia. I haven't seen Mom in over a week. We talk every day on the phone, but it's not the same. I don't want to risk my parents' safety, so I've been keeping my distance. "I guess I'm just feeling a little homesick."

"If you want, we can have strawberry waffles every Friday morning for breakfast," Adrien suggests as he takes a bite with a smile. "Just to make staying here a little more comfortable."

I love that boy. "Thanks, Adrien."

Natalie walks in. "Good morning, Marinette, Adrien. I have your schedule ready for today. After school, you have a two-hour photoshoot for the new perfume ad, an interview with Nadia Chamack, and your piano lessons at six o'clock."

Adrien slouches forward and mumbles, "Thank you, Natalie." He perks up. "Wait—after my piano lessons, I have the rest of the day off?"

"Yes, Adrien," Natalie answers with a nod. "Your father thinks under these circumstances..." She glances at me. I'm the circumstance. "Overdoing your schedule while you have a guest will be a waste of time."

"Do you think we could have dinner later?" He asks as Natalie turns to leave. "All four of us?"

Oh, my heart breaks. He looks so hopeful, but the answer is always the same.

She shakes her head. "Unfortunately, your father is very busy today, Adrien."

"Yeah, yeah. As always," Adrien mutters as he stabs his waffle. "Just forget I asked."

Natalie leaves without saying anything else.

I reach across the table and grab his hand. "I'm sorry, Adrien. But we can still have dinner if you want."

He shakes his head. "No."

My eyes widen and I lean back, taking my hand. "Oh. I get it, you must be sick of me by now. I mean, I'm already over here 24/7, so you probably want to do something else with somebody else."