17- Camera Flashes

Marinette's POV

"Adrien, I think I know who's sending the texts."

His eyes widen. "What? Who?"

My hands shake as a speak. "You remember that photoshoot we did a few months ago? That guy who took pictures of me?" Realization falls on Adrien's face. After he was arrested, we learned his name: Drew Deville. "It has to be him. Right?"

"Marinette, I was only kind of joking when I made that comment," Adrien reminds me. "I wasn't serious."

"But what if it is him?" I show him my phone, breath shaking. "We saw on the news that he lost his job after what happened. Drew Deville was on his way to becoming a CEO. This could be revenge!"

Adrien grabs my hand. "Marinette, you can't feel guilty for what happened to him. He lost his job because of the poor choices he made. Are you sure it's him?"

"I don't know," I admit, shrugging. "I don't know for sure. But there's a bad feeling in my gut I can't ignore."

"How would we even prove it's him though?" Adrien takes my phone, rereading the text messages. "We could find someone to trace the messages, like in those crime shows. Maybe Officer Roger can do something."

I nod, leaning back against the couch. "It wouldn't hurt to try. I just don't want to get another text." Crying now, I cover my face with my hands and sob into my jacket sleeves. "Sorry. It seems all I can do anymore is cry."

"Crying's healthy." Adrien scoots closer, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I look over at him. "It's supposed to clear your skin."

I laugh at his lame attempt to cheer my up and rest my head on his shoulder, sighing. "You always have a way with words, Adrien."

"It's a gift."

"Do you wanna go on a walk?" I find myself asking, standing up. "Get some fresh air."

"Sure." Adrien grabs my hand and leads me downstairs. "But my bodyguard will have to come." I nod, understanding. I want him to. Adrien calls for him and we leave, heading towards the park.

My bakery comes into view and I stop. I haven't seen my parents in over a month. I miss them so much.

Adrien notices and says, "It'll be okay if we stop by, Marinette."

"Are you sure?" I whisper, scared. "Hawkmoth surprised us today with Stormy Weather. What if he's watching us right now and sees me visiting my parents? He could trap or kidnap them and—"

Adrien tugs on my arm, dragging me down the street, and we rush inside the bakery. "I promise everything will be fine."

Mom and Dad stand behind the counter and when they finally notice us, they start screaming. "Ahh! Marinette!" They run over and before I can react, they hug me tight, my feet lifting off the ground. Oh, I missed this so much. Smiling, I hug them back, and close my eyes. I never want to leave. I want to come home.

"Mom, Dad..." A tear runs down my cheek as my parents set me down. "I'm so sorry I haven't been able to visit! I've been so busy with... Mr. Agreste's internship... but I missed you both so much!"

"No, you're like a grownup now, honey!" Mom says grinning from ear to ear. "I'm just so glad you're finally living out your dream. That's all your father and I want for you, is to be happy."

Dad rubs my head, messing up my bed hair. "How's that internship coming around? Any new cool designs yet?"

"Uh..."

Adrien steps forward. "Yes! But it's a secret. My father is a very private person and prefers his work to be the same until it's ready. It creates a certain mystery around the brand that attracts all the right people."