16- Mister Bug

Marinette's POV

One Month Later

Unknown: Watch your back. You never know who could be watching.

No. No, this can't be happening. I stare at my phone in disbelief. Five minutes have passed since I got this text message this morning. I can't have a stalker. Adrien was only joking around. This has to be a prank. Oh, if this is Adrien's way of a joke then he's sick. No, he's not like that, and he apologized when he made that insensitive comment. Who is this? Why is someone sending me weird texts? Three knocks come from the bedroom door and I jump, dropping my phone. "Y-Yes?" I call out, scrambling to get my stuff together.

"Marinette, are you okay?" Adrien says through the door. "You're usually down for breakfast. We don't have time now, so I packed you a little to-go box."

Smiling, I stand up and open the door. He waves and shakes the box. "Strawberry waffles again. I also snuck in some bacon."

"You're the best, Adrien." I take my breakfast from him, closing the door behind me, and we head downstairs to his car. I check my phone, rereading that text. Should I tell Adrien? He'd want to know, but what if that puts him in danger? I'm supposed to be safe living here, at least that's what he keeps telling me. We were fine for a month. No akuma attacks. Now I get this text out of nowhere and I don't know what to do. "Adrien?" I ask, pausing on the stairs. My hands start shaking and I look around, trying to calm myself down. "I..." My voice catches in my throat and I push down a sob.

Adrien stops walking and looks up at me. "Marinette? What's wrong?" Instead of saying something, because I can't, I just hand Adrien my phone. I start chewing on my nails as he reads the text. He looks mad. No, pissed. "When did you get this?"

"This morning," I choke out, eyes watering. "I-I don't know who it's from. I don't know what to do, Adrien!" Loud cries escape me as I cover my face, crying. "I don't know what to do..."

"Hey, hey. Marinette, it's gonna be okay." Adrien hands me my phone back before wrapping his arms around me in a hug. He lets me cry into his shoulder as he strokes the back of my head, whispering, "I promise it's going to be okay. I won't let anything happen to you."

Digging my nails into his shirt, I hold on tight as I keep crying, like if I let go I would lose Adrien forever.

"What are you two still doing here?" Mr. Agreste asks, walking out from his office. His eyes widen when he notices I'm crying. "Oh... what's going on?"

Adrien takes my phone and storms up to his father. "Marinette's stalker sent her a text this morning. He basically threatened her!" He places the phone in Mr. Agreste's hand. "We have to do something, father, before it gets worse."

Mr. Agreste squints at the phone as he reads the text. "Oh my... this is quite serious."

"There has to be something we can do, right?" Adrien asks as I walk down to stand beside him. "I don't care if my bodyguard has to come everywhere with us. I won't let anyone hurt Marinette."

Mr. Agreste stares down at his son as he hands my phone back. "Don't be so senile, Adrien. Of course there's something I can do. Like you said, your bodyguard will escort you two everywhere. I'll check with Nathalie and make sure our security system is up to date."

Adrien looks shocked, stunned even, that his father is willingly helping him. "Okay... I guess we'll go to school now."

"You do that." Without another word, Mr. Agreste walks back into his office.

"My father has never been so helpful before," Adrien admits as we head outside. His bodyguard is already waiting for us in the car. "But it's good, right? That he's helping?"