7- Nightmares and Confessions

Marinette's POV

I walk home, alone, and take the long way. My parents are sleeping, and I'm always quiet coming in, so I'm not worried about them catching me. Though, before I was Ladybug and could sneak in through my balcony. Now I have to go through the front door. I hear a sound and turn around fast, my eyes darting across the dark street as my heart races and pounds against my chest and rings in my heart. I see a cat run out of the alley and my breathing calms.

It was just a cat. It was just a stupid— "AHHH!"

Cat Noir drops down in front of me and out of instinct I slap him across the face. "OW! What happened to friendly greetings, Princess?"

"Don't do that!" I scream, smacking his chest as my chest tightens and tears well in my eyes. I thought he was Hawkmoth. "Not after... just don't do that."

"I'm sorry, Marinette. I didn't mean to scare you." He stares at me with a sad smile. "Are you okay? Did something happen—"

My eyes widen. "Have you been following me?!"

He shakes his head fast. "No, I promise! I was just... out, I swear. This is my first time seeing you tonight."

A sense of relief washes over me. "Oh. Good."

"Why are you walking around Paris—alone—at one am?" He shows me the time on his staff-phone. "Isn't it past your bedtime, young lady?"

I roll my eyes. As I keep walking, Cat Noir falls into step beside me. "I just needed some fresh air and wandered too far. I don't have my phone on me, otherwise I would have asked my parents to pick me up."

"Need a lift?"

I shake my head with a laugh. "No, thank you. I actually just want to walk right now."

"That's cool." Cat Noir starts swinging his staff around, trying to impress me, I bet. "I'll walk with you."

"I'd be surprised if you didn't," I admit, smiling, but it quickly fades into a frown. "How's your night going?"

He stares ahead, frowning. "Well, I guess it doesn't matter keeping it a secret anymore. Ladybug isn't going to be Ladybug anymore. She has to... go away for a while." He side eyes me, adding, "So it's just going to be me for a while."

"Oh, wow, that's a bummer," I whisper before realizing what I said. "No! That's not what I meant! I'm sorry. You're wonderful, Cat Noir. I-I just meant that it's sad Ladybug will be gone."

Cat Noir grins at me. "You think I'm wonderful, Princess? Please, tell me more."

I glare at him. "You think you're the shit, don't you?"

He nods. "I am the shit."

We finally reach my street and stand outside the front door of the bakery. I slap my pockets, gasping. "Of course I forgot my keys, too." Before I can knock, Cat Noir scoops me in his arm, extending his staff, and raises us to my balcony. "You always find a solution to everything, Cat Noir."

"It's a gift." Cat Noir sets me down and hangs back on the railing. "Your eyebags are getting bags. Get some sleep. Promise me."

Yawning, I lift my pinky, whispering, "I promise to try and get some sleep, Cat Noir."

He wraps his finger around mine. "Can't argue with that. Goodnight, Marinette. See you around!" His voice echoes away as he jumps off, leaping away to who knows where.

"Does Cat Noir seem a little goofy to you tonight, Tikki?" I ask, laughing. I wait for a response before my eyes widen and I realize. Wow. This is going to absolutely suck.