27- The Cat and The Princess

Marinette's POV

All I've ever dreamed about is Adrien finally confessing his feelings for me. All I've ever wanted was to kiss Adrien and finally be his girlfriend. Everything's change, though, since a sneaky cat had to claw his way into my heart. Oh, Cat Noir's rubbing off on me. I'm actually making puns. I look over at Adrien. It's been five minutes and no one's said anything. "I think his mind is made, Adrien. I don't think your father's going to let me stay."

"I know..." Adrien whispers, sighing. "I should have known that going in, but I guess it's just wishful thinking. Years and years of bitter hope."

"Do you think we should tell your father what's going on?" I ask, resting a hand on his shoulder. "About Hawkmoth? Maybe that could change his mind."

He shrugs. "I don't know, Mari. My father isn't easily swayed. Besides, he doesn't care much for superheroes or supervillains. He wouldn't have an interest in the matter, even if your life is in danger."

I can tell Adrien feels bad, but I don't want him to be guilty. We didn't know our lie about my 'stalker' would come true and bite us in the ass. That's what we get for lying. "Don't worry, Adrien. I'll be fine. Hawkmoth hasn't attacked in a while, against me or the city. The recent akumatized villains were weak and meaningless. Almost like he's bored. We'll still see each other at school. Besides, it'll be good to finally see my parents. I've been homesick for so long and I miss them. I really need my mom right now." And Tikki. "I'll be okay."

Adrien nods. "Okay. If that's what you want, Marinette. I'll ride with you back to the bakery." He grabs my hand and leads me out to the car. His bodyguard starts driving.

The car ride is quiet, and Adrien's still holding my hand.

It's almost ten PM when we finally reach my house. Adrien walks inside with me. We make it just in time before closing. Mom and Dad are standing behind the register, talking, and their conversation fades out when they notice me. "Marinette!" Mom and Dad run over, pulling me in a tight hug, and I don't even care that I can't breathe. I'm just glad to be home. "We missed you so much, honey! What's with the late visit? What-"

Adrien's bodyguard passes by, carrying my stuff upstairs.

"What's he doing with your stuff?"

"I'm coming home," I whisper, grinning. Though it won't stay long.

Dad's eyes widen. "What? But what about Gabriel's internship? I thought you had to stay at his house."

"Yeah, about the internship..." I take in a deep breath. Why is it so hard to tell them?

"Marinette?" Mom reaches for my mind. "You can tell us anything, sweetie. We're not here to judge."

Adrien rests his hand on my lower back. "It's okay, Mari. Go on. Tell them."

Mom and Dad stare and wait for an answer.

Rocking on my heels, I lower my head in shame, whispering, "There was never an internship. Adrien and I made it up."

"What?!" Mom shouts. "Then what have you been doing this entire time?"

"Do you remember that photoshoot I did earlier this year with Adrien?" I ask, fidgeting with my fingers. Mom and Dad nod. "Drew Deville, that's the man who took pictures of me in the tent while I was changing. After his bail was paid off, he started sending me weird text messages and threats. Adrien offered to let me stay with him. It'd be easier for my stalker to break into the bakery than the mansion."

"Are you okay, Marinette?" Dad asks, concerned. "I-I mean, I don't even know what to say. I want to kill this guy."

Nervously laughing, I add, "Well, good news is Drew Deville was arrested. Cat Noir and I came up with a plan to trap him and it worked. Officer Roger personally promised that he wouldn't be let out again." Mom and Dad don't say anything, but there's a distinctive look on their face: disappointment. "I-I know how this must look, okay? Yes, the internship was fake, but I did design new clothes while I was there! I could show you later. Dad? Mom?"