37- The Masquerade Ball (Part 1)

Marinette's POV

The Next Day 

Today's the day: The Masquerade Ball. Everything has to go perfect tonight. Not only am I confessing everything to Adrien, but we're also exposing Lila once and for all. Everyone will see what a liar she is and know the truth.

"Tikki, can you grab my mini sowing kit?" I ask my kwami as I start adding the final touches to my dress for tonight. A red, strapless ball gown hangs from my mannequin, a black mesh-lace covering as false-sleeves and a cover for the skirt, giving it a dark tint.

Tikki flies over and drops the mini kit in my hands and I grab the needle and thread. I'm adding fake rubies around the bottom of the skirt to give it a more authentic look. They sparkle under the light as I sow them on. Alya's on her way over with her dress so we can get ready together.

Tikki floats over. "Marinette, that dress is so beautiful."

"Thank you, Tikki. Even if it's for Lila's stupid masquerade ball, at least I get to wear one of my designs." Saying her name almost makes me gag. "Look pretty, feel pretty, right?"

"You're gonna steal the show."

I laugh and say, "Not right away, at least. Tonight Adrien and I are finally going to expose Lila for who she really is."

"Are you sure that's the right thing to do, Marinette?" Tikki asks me as I finish and put the kit away. "Won't embarrassing Lila just make things worse?"

"Lila's had many chances to come clean about everything, but after she spread that rumor about me being pregnant, she deserves everything."

Tikki pouts. "If you think so..." She flies off and rests on my pillow.

My phone starts ringing and I grab it from my desk. It's Alya. "Hey, Alya! You almost here?"

"I'm right down the street, girl." She pauses. "Listen, I have some news, and it's not good."

"Oh no! What happened? Nino can't make it? Don't worry. We can have a girl's night tonight if you want."

"No, Nino's going. It's Adrien."

My stomach drops. "What about Adrien?"

Alya sighs. "Nino just texted me. His father isn't letting him go to the masquerade ball tonight."

"What? He can't do that!"

"Yeah, turns out Mr. Agreste found out about the whole baby situation and grounded him. I don't think he'll ever leave the house again."

I close my eyes and punch a pillow and keep myself from screaming. I am so sick of this stupid baby rumor. I can't wait until Adrien and I expose her later. My eyes snap open and widen. Wait. I need Adrien! I can't pull this off without him. "Wow, that sucks. I was really hoping Adrien would be there tonight."

"Don't worry, girl. I'm sure Adrien's alright. Nothing new, right?"

"Yeah, you're right..." I turn and look at my lock screen on my computer. It's a picture of me and Adrien.

"I'm coming up. I'll see you in a minute."

"Okay." I hang up and toss my phone on the desk.

I have to find a way to get Adrien at that masquerade ball tonight. He has to be there. All those times Adrien's had to sneak out as Cat Noir and fight super villains, he can surely do it again tonight, right? Wait. That letter Adrien gave me, Ladybug. That's it! It's the perfect excuse to go see Adrien right now and convince him to sneak out tonight. Of course, Ladybug will have to do that, which means I need to figure out how to keep Alya distracted for about twenty minutes.