19- Red Blurs and Red Words

Marinette's POV

The camera shakes in my hand. "I'm sorry, Mayor Bourgeois, but there's no way I'm handing these over. Over my dead body!" Lifting my arm up, I throw the camera on the ground, hard, and watch as it breaks into pieces.

"NO!" Mayor Bourgeois screams. "What have you done? Chloe could be killed now!"

Adrien comes to my defense. "We can't give in to the blackmailers! He can't have all the power."

Mayor Bourgeois' eyes turn dark with rage. "You stupid brats!" He runs towards us and we jump back. I've never seen him like this before. "My daughter is in danger and it's your fault!" There's a sharp pain in my shoulder as I'm pushed to the ground, twisting my ankle.

"Ow!" I gasp, immediately reaching for my foot.

Adrien shoves Mayor Bourgeois away from me. "Hey! You have no right to put your hands on her!"

"Adrien..." I whisper, sitting up. Mayor Bourgeois is a whole lot bigger and more powerful than him.

Mayor Bourgeois leans down until he's in Adrien's face. "If this monster does anything to Chloe, I will personally have you two arrested!" He storms off this his car and leaves.

Adrien kneels down beside me, grabbing my hand. "Marinette, are you okay? I wanna kill him for what he did to you."

"Yeah, I'm fine," I whisper as he helps me stand. My ankle throbs and I scream out in pain, holding onto Adrien for support. He looks even more mad. "It doesn't hurt that bad, I swear."

Adrien turns to his bodyguard. "We're going to need the car. Marinette has to go to the hospital."

"No!" I start shaking my head as his bodyguard starts running. "Really, I'm fine, Adrien. It's a twisted ankle; I just need to put ice on it. I don't want to make a big deal out of this."

"Mayor Bourgeois should be fired!" Adrien screams, staring at where the car was parked. "He can't just go and push around civilians! It's not right!"

A car comes speeding down the street and stops beside us. Adrien grabs my hand before I can say anything and pulls me into the car. We start heading towards the hospital. "Adrien, I'm serious. I'm fine. I don't want to be a bother to anyone."

"Mari, it's okay." Adrien squeezes my hand and smiles. "It'll just be a quick visit."

***

"Your ankle is broken in three different places," The nurse explains to me as Adrien and I wait in one of the rooms. "You're going to need it casted. Please wait for the doctor."

I turn and glare at Adrien.

"So maybe not a quick visit..." He whispers, shrugging.

"It definitely doesn't feel like a twisted ankle anymore," I whisper, trying to fight back the pain.

"I'm going to contact your parents while you're getting casted and then we're going to prescribe you some pain medication."

My eyes widen. My parents are coming here? I can't stop them. I'm a minor; of course the hospital has to call them. I just hope Mom and Dad don't overreact.

The nurse looks between Adrien and me. "So, how exactly did this happen?"

We look at each other. I know Adrien wants to tell the truth. Before he can speak, I shake my head, and discreetly show him my phone, reminding him of my stalker and how we haven't exactly figured everything out yet.

Adrien sighs. "Marinette and I were walking downstairs to leave my house and she tripped on one of the steps."

"Hurt like a bitch," I mumble, faking a laugh. "When can I get that pain medication?"