39- Disguises Revealed

Marinette's POV

I watch as Lila runs off the stage in tears, screaming at people to get out of her way. As I unplug my phone from Nino's computer, I scan the gym for Adrien. There's a lot more people in here now. Across the crowd in the corner, I spot Adrien and ease into a smile. I wave, and he beckons me over with a nod of his head. Lifting my dress to avoid any disasters, I snake my way through the gym, dodging dancing and flying arms. Once I reach Adrien he takes off, walking, and leaves me behind.

"Adrien?" I call out, but he doesn't turn around. "Adrien!" Confused, I chase him down through the hallway and up a narrow staircase. He turns around and glances back at me, stopping for a second to make sure I can follow. He keeps running when I reach the top of the stairs. I get it. Cat and Mouse, or in this case Cat and Bug. Adrien's just messing and joking around, so I allow myself to laugh. "Where are you taking me?"

Adrien bolts left and runs into a classroom and I follow, catching him. He stands in the middle of the room, his back to me, and I keep on laughing.

Out of breath and with a grin, I gasp out, "You're pretty fast, Kitty, but not quick enough for me."

He doesn't say anything. He just stands there.

"Adrien? Are you okay?"

"My, my..." Adrien starts, slowly turning to face me. "You are so gullible."

I don't know what kind of game Adrien's playing, but I don't like it. Something's not right here. "Excuse me?"

Adrien raises a hand and takes off his mask, discarding it beside him. There's a flicker of anger in his eyes and with a smirk I realize who it is.

"Felix? What are you doing here?"

"And very stupid, apparently," Felix says, ignoring my question.

I haven't seen Felix in weeks. Why is he here now? What does he want? "What's going on, Felix? Tell me. Now! Why are you dressed like Adrien and why did you bring me here?"

The classroom door slams shut and I spin to see Lila, angry tears and wet mascara down her face. "You ask too many questions, Marinette."

"Lila?" I look at Felix, then back at her, and it clicks. "Wait, are you two working together?"

Her eyes widen and she says, "Now she catches on."

"Maybe she's not as stupid as I thought," Felix chimes in, taking a step closer to me.

I glance between them both, asking, "What do you want?"

Lila starts laughing, throwing her head back as she does, and I'm left wondering what I said was so hilarious. "You embarrass me at my own party, on my birthday, in fact, and you have the nerve to ask me that?"

Felix shakes his head. "That wasn't a nice thing to do, Mari."

I face Felix. Maybe I can get through to him. "Why are you helping Lila, Felix? What do you get out of it?"

"Revenge," He spits out, angry now. "On you and my stupid cousin you've hopelessly fallen in love with. Trust me, he's not a catch."

With wide eyes I ask, "Revenge? What did Adrien and I ever do to you?"

"You humiliated me, Marinette!" Felix screams, getting in my face now.

I shake my head and laugh. He can't be serious. "Humiliated you? For what, rejecting your unwanted advances? For defending myself when you were being a creep?"

"You both humiliated me and my mother!" Felix continues, turning his back to me now. He starts striding over to Lila, adding, "Uncle Gabriel banished us from his home. My mother lost everything."