13- Turtle and Fox

Alya's POV

"I'm winning this for you, babe!" Nino shouts, turning around to wink at me, throwing and catching a baseball in the air. I roll my eyes, grinning, and give him a thumbs up. He turns around, taking in a deep breath, and steadies himself. He throws the baseball, perfectly hitting the target, and confetti shoots out from a cannon. "Yes! I did it!"

"Whoo!" I shout, cheering my man on as he starts dancing.

"Who's the best?" Nino asks, shuffling in place. The attendee hands him a jumbo-sized turtle stuffed animal and he hands it to me. "This is for you."

"Aw, thanks babe." I lean forward and kiss his cheek. "Now it's my turn to win something for you."

Nino rolls his eyes. "You just wanna turn everything into a competition, don't you?"

"Yup," I whisper, nodding. I hand a ticket to the attendee and he hands me three baseballs. I won't need all three, though. I scan the targets, deciding which one I'm going for. No one's tried the hardest, a small target near the ceiling. Smells like a challenge to me. I take in a deep breath, raise my arm, and throw my body into it as I chuck the ball. It hits the target dead on and Nino starts cheering.

"That was, like totally awesome!" Nino walks up to me and we do our special handshake, laughing.

"Which stuffed animal do you want?" The man asks me.

"Hmm..." I scan the prizes and my eyes widen. "I'll take the fox!" After the man hands it to me, I turn to Nino, grinning. "This is for you."

Nino takes it, saying, "Little on the nose, don't you think, babe?"

"Ladybug would think it's cute," I tell him, standing on my toes to give him a kiss. I check my phone, sighing. "Those two are always late. Where are they?"

Nino points. "There."

I turn around and see them. Marinette's holding Adrien's hand, leading him over to us. The biggest grin grows on my face as Nino and I wave at him.

"What's up, my dudes?" Nino fist bumps Marinette before doing some weird handshake with Adrien.

"What's up?" Adrien asks, laughing. He looks over at Marinette. "Marinette is a complete psychopath. Anything to win a stupid race."

"You're just mad that I won." Marinette taps his nose, giggling, and my eyes widen even more. Is this girl flirting with him? When was that possible? How does she go from tripping and stuttering around blondie to dating him?

"So..." I look between them, smirking, and ask, "When did you two start dating?"

Marinette and Adrien give each other a look. Something's off. I don't know if it's just my detective skills, but they're acting weird. Almost like they're lying about dating. Why would they lie about that, though? It doesn't make sense. I watch them closely as I wait for an explanation.

"We..." Marinette starts, glancing over at Adrien.  "When did we start dating, honey?"

Flirting and pet names? What happened to Marinette Dupain-Cheng?

Adrien looks terrified out of his mind. What's going on in that blonde head of his? "Uh, well, sweetie." I try not to die laughing. "I can't remember because it feels like we've been together forever."

"Aww..." Nino and I whisper simultaneously.

I raise an eyebrow at the couple as Marinette grabs Adrien's hand. "Yeah. We would have told you sooner, but you saw how the class reacted. We wanted to avoid that kind of attention."

The class was kind of crazy earlier. Maybe they're not lying. Maybe they are really dating.

"Too late for that." Nino turns his phone around. "Nadia Chamack's already all over it. She wants to invite you two for an interview."

"Oh boy." Adrien shakes his head, adding, "There's no privacy in Paris."

"There's Adrien Agreste!" All heads turn towards the voice. There's a group of fans waiting by the entrance. Spoken too soon, Adrien. They start pointing and shout, "There's Marinette Dupain-Cheng! I told you they would be here!"

"Uh oh," Marinette and Adrien mumble at the same time.

Stepping in front of them, I push Marinette and Adrien away, telling them, "We'll stall them. You two go run and hide."

"Thanks, Alya." Marinette gives me a smile. "Come on, Adrien."

I watch as the two of them run further into the carnival. No crazy fans are going to ruin my best friend's date. Angry and determined, I turn around and storm up to the fans. "Guys! I saw where they went!"

"Where?" A girl with curly orange hair asks, eyes wide.

"They're headed for the fun house!" Nino points towards a building, leading them away from Marinette and Adrien as they head on the Ferris wheel.

"You might want to hurry! Adrien Agreste doesn't stay at the carnival long!"

The crazy fans run off.

Nino walks over and we fist bump. "Are we the greatest friends, or are we the greatest friends?"

"We're about to be the best," I whisper, watching as Marinette and Adrien head to the top of the Ferris wheel. "Once those kids realize they're not in there, they're gonna riot." Running over, I go up to the man controlling the ride. "Sir! I need you to stop the ride!"

"But there's people on there!"

"Adrien Agreste is one of the passengers, and he's being stalked by fans!" Nino jumps in. "Do you want to be sued by his father, Gabriel Agreste?"

The man shakes his head fast. "Alright! Alright! No need for threats." He presses a button and the wheel stops turning. "How long do I gotta keep this off?"

"Until those fans leave." I point to a group of kids leaving the fun house. "If I were you, I'd hide behind that barricade before they realize you're holding the remote between them and the model."

Nino pulls out his phone. "We should probably let them know what's going on."

"Good point." I send Marinette a text.

Alya: Hey girl. Those crazy fans got even crazier. We got the ride stopped for now. Don't know how long it's gonna be tho. Now you got privacy ;)

"I don't think they're gonna be complaining about being alone," Nino jokes, putting his phone away. "They're stuck up there for a while. What do you want to do?"

Raising an eyebrow, I ask, "Wanna play Super Penguino?"