36- Secret Spot

Marinette's POV

Five Days Later

"Tikki, why didn't you ever tell me Adrien was Cat Noir?" I ask my kwami as I freak out in my bedroom. My brain hasn't really clicked yet that the famous model and superhero are the same person. Their personalities are totally different. Then again, Adrien's not able to really be himself, being in the spotlight all the time and under his father's shadow. "Do you realize how complicated this all is? I rejected Cat Noir for Adrien and then I rejected Adrien for Cat Noir! They're the same person! My brain is totally fried!" I fall face first into my pillow, sighing.

"You know I couldn't say anything, Marinette," Tikki says, floating by my face. She pats my cheek. "But isn't it better you know now?"

"I'm dating Adrien and Cat Noir," I mumble into the pillow. "I've never had two boyfriends before."

"Come on, Marinette. You should be happy! The two people you love most in the world are actually the same! There's no need to choose now."

I lay on my side and stare at the pictures of Adrien by my bed. "I am happy, Tikki. I love Adrien, both sides of him. But..."

"But what?"

Frowning, I whisper, "Adrien loved Ladybug first. He chose Ladybug. What if when he finds out we're the same person he's disappointed?"

Tikki stands on my nose and stares me directly in the eyes. "That boy confessed to you, twice, and you're questioning whether he's going to love you or not?"

I roll over away from Tikki and stare down at my chipped-black polished nails. A tear sneaks down my cheek as I whisper, "You heard what Cat Noir said, how my leaving almost destroyed him. I hurt Adrien. I think he would hate me forever if he realized it was his best friend all along. Adrien would never forgive me."

My phone buzzes with a text and I reach to check. It's from Adrien.

Adrien: Do you have any plans today? I'd really like to see you.

Marinette: Nope. I'm a free girl

Adrien: I was hoping you'd say that. Meet me at the park in 10 minutes?

Marinette: Of course. Consider me there already.

A reason to change out of my pajama's. I step down from the loft and quickly change, leaving my hair down instead of pigtails. I brush my tangles out before slipping on a coat and heading downstairs. My parents are out with my grandfather again so I lock up the bakery behind me. Tikki peeks her head out of my purse. "What are you going to say when you see Adrien? You haven't talked to him in almost a week."

"I don't know, Tikki. Why do you think Adrien wants to hang out?" As I cross the street, I catch a glimpse of the pool and glance down at my kwami. "Do you know where Master Fu relocated? I went back to the pool to try and return the earrings, but he was already gone."

"I don't, but Plagg does." Tikki smiles and ducks her head as I grin at her. I've been letting her visit Plagg every night since she lost a lot of time without a holder. "And you're not going to like what I'm about to tell you."

"What, Tikki?"

"Hey, Marinette!" I look up and see Adrien waving his arms to get my attention. I smile and jog over to him. "Woah. Your hair. It looks beautiful." He blushes. "S-Sorry. I didn't mean to come on so strong."

I shake my head, laughing. "No, it's fine, Adrien. Here, if this will help your embarrassment: you look very handsome today."

"Thank you." Adrien scratches the back of his neck. "You didn't happen to bring any pastries with you...?"