~•~Chapter five~•~

tw - fire
small a/n
I'm using my awful memory against you, you're welcome :]

~•Y/N POV•~

~time skip to 3am~

“Y/N GET UP! IT’S URGENT! GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!” I woke to George yelling at me, smelling faint traces of smoke. I looked up to see him, tears threatening to leave his eyes and a burn on the side of his arm. Concerned as I was, I obeyed what he said and quickly scurrying out of bed, grabbing my phone and purse off my nightstand, clumsily knocking everything else off in the process.
Hurriedly, I scrambled around, getting to George and seeing him waiting there to make sure I get out safely.
He grabbed me, pulling me outside the door to safety.
I glanced over my shoulder, seeing smoke constantly flying out the open windows, and the occasional outburst of a flame.

Tears pricked at the corner of my eyes, as I watched, what was my house for my whole life, go up in flames, rubble crumbling from some walls.

I gulped back a sob, a single tear running slowly down my cheek.

“Why…” I managed to choke out through the growing agony.
Sirens grew louder and louder by the second, but just as they were about to arrive, I gasped.
I struggled towards the doorway, only to get held back by George.

“ASTERIN! ASTERIN IS STILL IN THERE! G-GEORGE PLEASE LET ME GO!” I screamed at the loudest my voice could go, but George just kept his hold on me and pulled me towards him, surrounding me in a hug, in which I buried my head into his chest, choking out sobs.
I hear footsteps rapidly coming towards us.
Everything was a blur to me, zoning out of their conversation every few seconds.

“My sisters dog… inside still… rescue her” I couldn’t focus on the words being said, feeling empty. I could hear the thumps of the heavy footsteps leaving, going towards the house, as I was still in the tight comforting arms of my brother, whilst he was muttering positive things in my ear.

~time skip to around 7 mins later~

I was out there shaking anxiously in my brother’s arms, as I heard the footsteps return, although this time, they weren’t rapid, they were slow.

I looked up slightly, to see a blurry figure carrying something still, which was hard to see through the tears, my eyes sparkled with hope.
As they neared, the smaller figure started to come into focus.
The painful truth… I choked out a loud sob, shrugging my way out of my brothers arms, and sprinting a short distance, to be greeted by my small furry friend.
The fireman placed her down gently as I threw myself to the floor, hugging her now, lifeless, stiff body.

“NO! No! no…” my yells, turning to shaky whispers. “Asterin, wake up… please, just for me…” my voice breaking after every couple of words.
How did this happen…? Everything was fine just a few hours ago, Asterin’s warm body, curled up next to my in bed, now her body’s cold, and stiff.
George came up to me, along with a firefighter, I think it was the one that found Asterin’s limp body.
George embraced me in another warm and comforting hug, as the firefighter cleared his throat to speak,

“H-how did the fire start?” I managed to choke out before he could speak. He gave me a sorrowful look and said

“It was an oven fire, we found the oven door, swung open, with your dog led there, uncoscious next to it. We assume your dog was attempting to save you but got caught in the line of fire… there seemed to be a burnt cake in there, do u know anything about that?” He asked curiously.
No… no! I forgot to take George’s birthday cake out the oven… this is all my fault. I sighed,