Chapter 1

Wiping the table I saw Emily, another waitress walking over to me from the corner of my eye.

"Kurt wants to see you in his office." She said to me, not this again.

"I'll finish up for you." She said as she took the cloth away from my hand.

"Are you sure?" I asked once again not really wanting to go in a room alone with that pervert.

"Yeah." She smiled at me and went to wipe another table.

I work at a cafe as a waitress by the highway. Our boss thought it was a good idea for people who have been traveling far just to stop by since there aren't any food places nearby. I walked behind the counter, pushed the double door open, and went through the kitchen.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" I asked as I walked through the opened door. He nodded and sat down in his rusty chair.

My boss was Kurt Williams. He had ginger hair, thick eyebrows, and an uneven mustache with a beard that looked as if it wasn't washed for years.

"Make me a coffee please." He asked. I stared at him.

"Now." He shouted. I'm not your maid you dumb shit I said in my head. Sighing, I walked over to the machine he had installed in his office. After making his coffee I walked back over to the table, placing it in front of him.

"I wanted to let you know that you are a really good employee but due to financial problems we have to let you go." I looked up at him. He leaned in the chair as he stared up at me.

"What?" I was not sure if I heard correctly. He can't fire me. I'm the reason this place is still standing. I'm the main reason everyone comes back to the cafe. All the other employees have an attitude that they seem to can't control driving most of our customers away.

"Here is your last payment." He pushed a thick envelope in front of me. I shook my head.

"Y-you can't fire me. You know what I'm going through, Kurt please." I begged him.

"I'm sorry but it had to be done. I gave twice the amount that's supposed to be in there to keep you going." He pointed out. If he had that much to give me, why does he have a financial problem? I looked down at the envelope. It became clear to me. I scoffed.

"You're firing me because you can't get me into bed. All your other girls out there get higher pay than me, when they don't even work half as much as I do. You know what Kurt I'm happy you fired me. I wouldn't want to work at a piece of shit like this anyways." I grabbed the mug of coffee and threw it at him. He screamed out jumping from his seat. I picked up the envelope like I was going to leave that much money with him.

"Let's see how you do without me." I turned around walking out of the office. I grabbed my bag on the way.

"Everything okay Linda," Mindy asked. I turned to her.

"It's Adelina and everything is good because I don't have to be around you anymore Mindy," I said her name in disgust as I pushed the door open and went up to my car.

It wasn't much but it was all I could afford. I didn't go to college. So I was unable to get a decent job that pays good money. I pulled out of the parking lot onto the road. Even though I was happy I wouldn't get to work with the people at the cafe anymore, I was still sad. The cafe pay wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad either. It was enough for me to pay for some things. Most of my pay goes toward my son.

He's thirteen.

I had him when I was fifteen. I met his father when I was thirteen, three years after Mia and I ran away from our mother. He was always there for me, made me laugh, and made me smile in the moments I needed it. I fell in love with him and so did he. He was my first everything.

When I found out I was pregnant I was scared. I didn't know how to tell him or my family. I eventually confronted him about it. He stood in front of me just staring into my eyes for about an hour until he walked up and hugged me. I found it weird but we got through it.

We tried having a healthy relationship for the sake of our child but we fell out of love. He moved on to a happy marriage with a beautiful girl. Her name was Olivia. She was a model, she's around seven years younger than Noah but he claims he's in love.

It pained me.

I thought that maybe I wasn't perfect or maybe I wasn't hot or good enough for him. But regardless I was happy for him. We co-parent now and we have a good relationship. I pulled up in front of my apartment. I got out of the car walking into the building.

Going to my door I found envelopes on the floor. I picked them up and opened my door. My apartment was small. When you walk through the door there's the living room. The couch was against the wall, opposite it was a stand holding up the television. The kitchen was the smallest in the apartment. Stairs lead upstairs to the bathroom and bedrooms. There was only one bathroom and two bedrooms.

Dropping my bag on the floor I threw the envelopes onto the table with the other envelopes. I do get a decent paycheck but they do go towards my son's school fees. I don't want him to end up like me. Resulting in me being behind on my rent. I took out some loans but now I'm in debt. My son doesn't know I try to keep it to myself. If he found out then his father would try to help and I made it clear years ago that I didn't need him hovering over me.

Grabbing a bottle of liquor I walked over to the table. I took a sip, then started looking at the papers. How was I going to pay for all this without a job? I rubbed my face with my hands. The door opened, making me look up. I quickly stuffed the papers behind a cushion.

"Hey, Masy." I smiled at my son as he walked through the door with his father. Mason was a spitting image of me, the main reason he gets all the girls at school. The only difference was that he had his father's eyes. He had hazel while I had light brown eyes.

"Mom, I told you to stop calling me that now." He cried out.

"I'm sorry, it's just so cute." I rubbed his hair, he groaned and stomped away.

"He got that temper from you," Noah said as he looked down at me.

Noah was Mason's father, my ex. He was good-looking. He had curly brown hair that always made me want to brush my hand through hazel eyes that I got lost in so many times.

"Ha Ha, very funny." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Hey, I was wondering if Mason could stay over the weekend with me. My mother is coming over -"

"No." I quickly said.

"Come on Adelina." He begged. I had no problem with his mother, it's the way she treats my child.

"Every time that woman is around my son she treats him as if he's disabled. Just because I wasn't well educated doesn't mean it would transfer down to my son." I pointed at him.

"I understand I will talk with her." He raised his hands in the air.

"You said that already, yet she hasn't changed. That woman is not going anywhere near our child until she understands that he is not stupid." I pushed him out the door.

"Now if she's not going to be there then he can go but if she is I swear I will not let you near him again, " I said. He stared into my eyes. I looked away knowing that I would break down.

"Okay. Tell Mason I said bye." He smiled at me and walked away. I slammed the door and walked back to the couch. My phone started ringing.

"Hello," I said.

"Adelina." I heard sobs on the other side.

"Mia?"