11

Delia walked into the apartment, took Laurel's hand in her own, and led her friend to the small couch and sat them both down. Laurel immediately rolled onto her side, and placed her head on her friend's lap, legs tucking up onto the couch as Delia grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch to drape it over Laurel. Laurel curled herself into a small ball while she sobbed on her friend's lap, Delia tried to radiate calm energy, as she held her friend's hand in one of her own, while her other hand stroked Laurel's hair and shoulders just trying to offer any comfort she could. Delia didn't say anything, just waited for her friend to calm down enough to tell her what had gone terribly wrong.

After twenty minutes like this, Laurel's breathing had calmed down, she wasn't sobbing any longer. She looked like all the light had been sucked from her, but she appeared to be gaining control of herself again. Still Delia didn't press, she waited until Laurel started to speak. "Delia I think something is wrong with me. " Laurel finally said, breaking the silence, her voice barely an audible whisper to Delia.

"Laurel, there is nothing wrong with you, please, can you tell me what happened?" Delia kept her voice soft and gentle, like she was talking to a wild animal, one that could react badly in a heartbeat. Delia still wasn't sure what kind of magic or power Laurel might have, or what other things were hidden in the tangle of spells around her. Her caution was for everyone's safety.

Laurel told Delia about trying to call her mother and how the woman acted as though Laurel didn't exist and how Laurel was sure her mom had blocked her phone number, and how she had tried to call her friends but no one was answering or returning her text messages, except to say she had the wrong number. How her social media looked like it had been wiped and no one from her hometown was connected to her any longer. Only people she had added since coming to the city.

"How could everyone forget me? I thought everyone was just busy and that's why no one was reaching out anymore, we swore we would stay in touch when I moved out here. How can people just forget I exist Delia?" Laurel's eyes were shiny with fresh tears welling up, waiting to spill out.

This is where things got tricky for Delia. She knew this event was probably coming, after reading the lingering wisps of magic that had clung to Laurel as though they were a part of her. Her coven had helped her to crack what one of the spells were, but it was a curse and they had no idea how to break it. The other magics around her were mysterious, unlike anything anyone had seen before. Delia was as prepared as she could be though, she had spoken with her coven and after thoroughly investigating Laurel, it was decided that helping Laurel was worth the risk of exposing themselves. If for no other reason than to ensure Laurel would be able to be safe in the city. "Laurel, this is going to be...hard to hear and understand ok?" Delia waited for Laurel's eyes to focus, to look and feel like she was really hearing her words. "I want you to know that there is nothing wrong with you, and I want you to try and stay calm." Taking one deep breath, DElia felt as Laurel's anxiety started to rise again. "I think there are some things about you, and the world at large that you don't know... but that you should." Delia knew she was being cryptic, too obtuse for Laurel to understand. This was hard for Delia, sharing her own secret with anyone not already in it went against everything she had been taught. Laurel was caught up in the magic world too, she just didn't know it. Delia tried to rationalize to herself, steeling her nerves for the hard part. Thankfully she had done this once before, though not as the person holding more knowledge and power.

"What do you mean?" Laurel lifted her head up to look her friend in the eyes more closely, searching for answers.

Taking a deep breath, Delia continued "There isn't anything wrong with you that I can feel, but you are different Laurel. I'm just not sure how you are different. But it's ok I'm different too." Delia rushed her words. Trying to get through this awkward first bit.