3:12 Laurel

I left Delia and Auris, Happy that they had come together. So unbelievably proud at how far he had come. I cheated, and since I was alone, and Delia and Auris, the most magic sensitive of my mates were already very much occupied, I used my greater control over my magic to manipulate the air around my hair to act like a salon hands free blower chair. Drying my hair almost instantly before I rubbed oils through the lengths to tame none existent flyaways. I might miss my auburn curls, but there was something about the simplicity of stubborn straight hair. Bad hair days really weren’t a thing anymore for one.

Hair dry, I grabbed a simple white shift dress and threw it over my shoulders and nothing else as I strode out the door, closing it behind me as the sound of Delia coming started to grow louder behind me.

I didn’t really want to leave, I was very much enjoying being with Delia and Auris. There was somewhere else I needed to be. Another bond was waiting, and it felt like I was drawn to witness its start as well, as though I needed the extra energy from participating in the bonding experience.

I blindly followed my heart and my bonds with Sky and Brydel. I knew they weren’t being sexual, but they were doing something physical and intimate and I was nearly dying with curiosity as I felt myself draw closer upon them. I stopped in front of heavy, solid wooden double doors and knew they were on the other side. I still had no idea what I would find. 

I took a breath and turned the handle of one of the doors and walked in. Just in time to see as Sky grabbed Brydel by one arm and flung him in a terrifying arc over his shoulder and into the sandy arena floor under their feet with a softer thud than I thought I would hear. The ground seemed to almost ripple under their feet just a slight amount as he landed.

Sky was facing my way as he released Brydel from his throw and our eyes met. Mine wide with shock and my mouth open at the brutal throw I had just seen completed. “It's a training room! The floor is cushioned to not injure on impact!” He yelled, the worry apparent on his face. I shouldn't have surprised him, Sky was already so sensitive about the reputation of the culture he had come from.

I stepped into the sandy surface. There were several inches of sand, but then the base felt like a giant balloon, such that there was nothing hard on the ground to impact. It reminded me of a gymnastics crash pit for training, but less deep. I should have known Sky would never risk injury so blithely, that wasn’t his nature. 

With a slight groan Brydel got up from the ground, dusting sand from his skin and the tight knee length shorts he and Sky were both wearing, “We were sparing.” He coughed, “I thought I had trained to fight The Sunless, I was wrong.” He said, some worry slipped over to me before he covered it up again. It was understandable to be worried about a war with the Sunless. I had learned much about them while with Solace. The rumors I had heard in Fae were almost too kind to them in comparison to the truth.

“Can I try?” I asked. I had only ever sparred with Solace as he taught me everything I would need to know. I wanted to see how I compared to my mates. Brydel and Sky looked at each other questioningly, I could swear I could almost hear them thinking about all the reasons not too, “You both know I am stronger than you, and heal almost instantly with how full my power is lately. I want to know if I can hold my own in a fight.” They both still looked doubtful, “If I know I can defend myself, then I can also defend Delia. She isn’t a fighter, we all need to be ready to protect her.” It was a low blow, I saw and felt the shock that passed through Brydel as he realised sweet Delia would be on a battlefield with demons and Sunless. It looked like all the blood ran from his face as he considered what could happen.

Sky nodded, agreeing with my argument, and knowing I was right. “Then we spar, Brydel will observe your technique, then we will switch and I will observe.” Brydel shook his head clear of the nightmare he was getting lost in, and came back to us. Color returning to his heavily tattooed skin.