2:37 Brydel

If my wolf was out his tail would have wagged itself right off my arse as Delia, Laurel, Sky and Auris all praised my cooking skills. I hoped none would be disappointed when they learned my skills basically stopped at grilling steak and making breakfast. Auris was one strange bird, He was on his knees carefully painting Laurel's toes and devoting enough attention to it he could rebuild the colosseum with less effort. Laurel was occasionally hand feeding him bits of fruit, ensuring the devoted dragon ate something. She was giving him a strange expression and I felt like I had missed something earlier. If it was important I would be told later.

Sky was eating breakfast, and only giving one word responses. The elf was in his head again, something was troubling him. I could feel it and I knew Laurel did. I had a feeling he was worried about protecting Delia tonight, she was a witch so she wasn't totally helpless, but fighting and defense were not something she had ever put much effort into clearly. Thankfully the little witch had the three of us and Laurel to keep her safe.

I shook my head. Sky should worry less, Laurel was basically an army onto herself these days and Delia was her mate, her only female mate. Laurel would never let anything happen to her. I must have gotten lost in my own head thinking about Sky, because suddenly Laurel was booting the men from the room while her and Delia picked dresses and got ready. I found myself bustled out the door with Sky and Auris, and heard the lock click into place with a girlish giggle from behind the door before their small feet tumbled over the carpeted floors towards a closet that was bursting with female formal wear.

I turned around and based on the jumps of surprise I felt from Sky and Auris they were as caught off guard as I was by the sudden unexpected appearance of the Master housekeeper. "Ah boys, finally! Come come, we have to figure out how to dress you for this evening, come along now." Thistle's tone and command left no room for argument and the three of us fell in an orderly line behind her as she led us through the twisting hallways. She reminded me of a particular school teacher from back in my youth, an unmarried spinster with an excessive love for the strap. My palms itched at the memory as I realized I had also moved my hands behind my back subconsciously. Hoping the others didn't notice my blush or weirdness I schooled myself back to calmness.

It had been decades, longer since I had last slipped into habits from what I now considered my first life, home, with my family. I felt a shiver of fear at how I was lax, careless, slipping. Behavior like that, not being vigilant around demons meant pain and death. Then I looked around me, at the large safe house I felt at home in, at the elf and dragon I considered family and shared lovers with. It hadn't really sunk in while we had been traveling, or when we were unsettled and unsafe in shared accommodations but I was safe. Free and safe, and so ready to enjoy my second life with vigor.

I hoped there would be Scotch at the party. I knew we were probably walking into a trap for Laurel or Auris, or hell even Delia or Sky would make excellent marks. Even the Fae and Demons had learned to enjoy Scotch as an exotic intoxicant I knew. I had never had much opportunity to enjoy fine things during the dark time, but now, I was pretty sure I was attached to the first and second most magically powerful beings in all the known realms. A real Cinderella story.

Sky and Auris had been talking and I had been too zoned out to catch most of it as Thistle deposited us at a back room, unlocking and ushering us in to find formal wear of our choosing, accessories like ties and color coordinating pieces will be added after the stern woman let us know before she turned on her heels and walked away without so much as a flick of her wrist backwards at us. If I didn't know Laurel also found the woman stern and brisk I would feel a mite contrary over it, but as long as she was equal in her treatment I had no qualm.

"What does modern formal wear consist of? Last I was out it was a single silk swath draped, tied with woven gold cord and pinned with precious stones for adornment." Auris said, with a cadence that almost hinted he was making a joke. I stole a sideways glance and from the keen expression, he had indeed tried to make a joke. I let out a little chuckle and the radiant smile that split his face was like the sun breaking through over a field of heather. Damn he was a handsome fellow, damn dragons always were.