22

After getting cleaned up and redressed, Laurel noticed she had several text messages and missed calls from Delia, reminding her they were supposed to be on their way over to the pack house soon.

“Shit, Damon, I’m late getting back to Delia’s so we can go to the library tonight. She’s going to be so pissed at me.” She was drawing her lower lip between her teeth again, it wasn’t fair that she did that when she was holding back a moan she should let free and when she was anxious.

“I can get you back to Delia’s right on time Laurel, if you want to try being teleported over?” Damon offered gently, paying close attention to how her emotions changed through their bond; he was pleased that he didn’t feel a spike of fear at the suggestion.

“Is it dangerous?” Laurel asked, seriously considering the offer.

“No, I’ve teleported others before without any issue. Some have found it a little nauseating, especially their first time, but it always passes quickly.” He could practically hear her brain as she thought about it, but instead he was just swept up through her emotions. The swell made him sympathise with Delia, constantly feeling other people’s emotions must be exhausting for the empath. Laurel’s emotions were new in his mind and he was constantly getting caught up in the pull. It was interesting that Delia could still get something sometimes from Laurel with her gift but he was never able to hear anything from her mind before now.

He knew the moment she decided before she even started to speak,“Well I’d rather be queasy for a bit than have what is basically my only friend angry with me so let's do it.” her voice hid the small thread of fear he knew was there completely. Brave girl.

Damon went to stand next to Laurel wrapped his arms around her “Wrap your arms around me, and maybe close your eyes for the first time.” He was certain he was using his most disarming smile.

Laurel closed her eyes and almost immediately there was a sound like rushing water or wind surrounding her, blocking out any other sound. She kept her eyes closed. Squeezing them even tighter together in fact, and for a moment felt both weightless and too heavy at the same time. It only took a few seconds, but she noticed that she no longer smelled Damon’s office around her, no leather, and old book scent in the background, she smelled food cooking and drying herbs. She opened her eyes and she was back inside the Coven House kitchen looking at a surprised Delia who was holding her phone frowning.

“Well I guess you will be on time if you travel that way” Delia said, her frown melting up into a smile that only grew brighter when she noticed Laurel had a new necklace on. A necklace Delia could feel the magic radiating from.

“When I realised I was late getting back, Damon was kind enough to offer to transport me quickly.” Laurel smiled up at Damon, they were no longer wrapped around each other but she continued to hold one of his hands with hers.

Delia felt a pang of jealously as Damon moved to look at Laurel, one of his hands gently touching her face, Laurel leaning into the comfort of his palm as he made sure she was ok. “Do you feel ok? Not sick?” Damon asked, genuine concern lacing his voice as he gazed at Laurel.

“Umm not too bad, kind of feel like I spun around too quickly, but that is fading already.” She answered honestly, glad that the experience didn’t leave her puking on the floor like she feared might happen after he described it. Maybe her own magic made it easier than it would have on a real human.

“Excellent, well let’s head out to my car, we have just enough time to get over to Melody’s without being late. Sorry Damon, I think you will need to sit this one out, I didn’t ask permission to have a demon accompany us over and I don’t want to upset anyone.” Delia was moving across the space towards Laurel to usher her towards the parked car.