2:03 Morose

It took several weeks of steady walking to first get out of the forest which opened up to a wide open plain with tall grasses. My eyes slowly started to grow accustomed to the bright light of the day and I was able to start walking more while the suns were up and sleeping more during the night. One day as I walked I felt the feeling in the air change, I had no idea what had happened but whatever it was I felt more at peace with the change so I kept walking. The grasslands gave way to another forest, though this one was not as dense as the first I had passed through. I saw lots of trees with the red round fruit growing here and was finally able to sample one. They had a thin skin on the outside and firm juicy flesh within and were the sweetest thing I had ever eaten.

After three days of walking with a deep sense of peace in my heart I came upon the first trap, an excellently hidden tripwire and net designed to capture anyone or anything fool hardy enough to spring the trap. Having avoided the first, I was more wary moving forward.

The next day I found a similar trap, this time it was a pit covered over with a light cloth and various detritus from the forest floor scattered over it to hide it. I had been learning quickly about my new world, and it was obvious to me right away that the patch of ground in front of me had not occurred naturally, there was something too organized about the leaves and dirt. I hefted a large rock into the center of the patch to see what happened, and saw as the cloth, dirt and leaves plunged down into a deep pit. If I had stepped there I would have surely been trapped. But once again my keen senses had kept me safe and I continued on my way.

The next day I found four more traps laid along the path in the direction I was traveling, another pit, another trip wire, and two snares that would have left me hanging upside down from trees. At first I had thought the traps were meant to deter anyone who wondered into this area, but now I started to think the traps might have been set just for me.

The next day I changed my tactics. I built a fire, I hunted a rabbit and spent my day lazing by the fire, enjoying roasted rabbit and apples. The rabbit had been eating some red berries on a bush when I caught it, since the rabbit trusted the berries I picked a couple to try, hoping they wouldn't make me sick. I was delighted when they were even sweeter than the red round tree fruit, and even more thrilled when I didn't get sick several hours later. I returned to the bush and picked as many as I could carry back with me in my makeshift rucksack. Made from the fabric I had taken from the trap no less, and enjoyed a snack of berries while I waited by my fire.

As the afternoon dragged on, and the suns began their descent I started to think maybe my plan was flawed, and I wasn't being trailed or stalked by an unseen person. Meaning I had wasted a day here for nothing. Since I was well rested from my day of leisure I started to pack up, buried the fire to keep the embers from spreading after I left, when I heard a sound behind me. I turned and there was a great snowy owl perched on a branch nearby staring at me.

"Hello, I haven't seen anything like you around here before" I said to the bird, it seemed awfully strange to see an all white bird in a lush green forest.

"Do you really think the bird is gonna talk back to ya?" Said a male voice from somewhere behind the bird, I couldn't see the owner of the voice until he stood up. White sightless eyes looking directly in my direction.

"You are Oakwood aren't you?" I asked, feeling confident that I was right.

"Ah, Snow, see someone who has heard of us, must be why he was able to avoid the traps we set. Yes I am Oakwood, but the real question is who are you and what are you doing here?"

"My name is Morose. A strange woman named Gotha helped me out of the underground and said you might be able to help me" I said, hoping honesty was the best choice in this situation.