2:01 Unknown

Oh poor sweet child. You aren't supposed to be here, not like this, there were plans.

Things are in such a tangle, there are so many knots around you.

There that is much better, now you can be yourself.

Things are changing Laurel, we hope you are ready.

"What was that?" I asked out loud, my voice hoarse from disuse. I spoke aloud even though there was no one around but the forest animals who shared my glen to hear me. I was sincerely caught off guard by the powerful burst of magic that had washed past me like a shockwave. I wondered if it had originated somewhere nearby. Something big and powerful must have happened for me to have felt it as strongly as I had, with my dismally weak magic abilities.

"I guess I should go investigate that right?" I asked the red breasted robin in the tree next to me. The robin chirped in agreement and I sighed "I know, I know, my duty as ranger for this area demands I go make sure everything is ok." The robin was joined by some jays now, all encouraging me to go and see what had happened.

For almost half a century I have been living alone in this sacred forest glen, clung at the base of a mighty mountain. This wasn't always my life. I left the place of my birth deep below the ground in the land of the Sunless. My mother had named me Morose, for that is how she felt at the thought of another son for fodder instead of a powerful daughter. In the land of the sunless, women rule, for only they are able to channel the magic of the goddess, men are only good for procreation of daughters, pleasure, or performance, in that order.

The Sunless are a brutal people, a society based on reputation and a family's ability to control those around them. Battles to the death due to hurt feelings or a perceived slight are common. Someone is only worth the value they bring to family, as I was the third son I was valueless as I was, and so was promptly given over to the training of the Battle Masters for training. Women could not be risked in small skirmishes, especially not against creatures without strong magical skill, so armies of men were needed for grunt and base work.

There were always physical tasks far below the skills of the women, men would build their strength breaking rocks, expanding the territory, exploring deeper into the caves and tunnels of the great mother of all.

Under the brutal tutelage of the Battle Masters of the Sunless, it was discovered that I was rather skilled in battle, favoring two handed scimitars for combat. I was well trained in all traditional weapons, as well as hand to hand fighting techniques to ensure I would be useful to the matron of my family. Before my 50th birthday I was besting some of the Masters, but due to my family's low standing I was never eligible for promotion.

Watching my mother scheme to elevate our family's position in our society was killing me. I was constantly sent out to smash rocks to expand the city, or patrol the borders, killing lower creatures and poor souls who had the misfortune to stray into our territory. I hated the politics, the lies, the doublespeak between my mother and the other matrons of the leading families. As I had demonstrated reasonable skills in combat, tracking and subterfuge, my mother sent me on countless missions into other families' homes, to spy, to wait, to watch and report back anything I learned. Who had made moves to elevate their name, who had found favor or disfavor with our Diety, which families had internal turmoil. It was nauseating. I hated being unable to make connections with my peers for fear that they were only using me to hurt my family. I was lonely, I knew the world I was living in was wrong somehow. I knew the whole world just couldn't be like this. That there was something else out there.

Afterall, the first thing I remember being told was that I was nothing special. Over and over this message was pressed into me. I was a boy, and fodder to be used to better the women of my home. Nothing I could do, think, or feel was special or mattered. Which I decided meant there were others who felt like I did, somewhere. I do not think that was the intention of the lesson.