Chapter Fifteen - Academic Scholar

Jason had driven out to Lucas' house "Hey there. Is, uh, is Lucas home?" Jason asked when he saw Erica open the door, "Negative" Erica spoke trying to close the door so she could get back to what she was doing. "You know where he is?" Jason asked again with a chuckle lingering in his voice "Uh, we're just... we were supposed to go out and-" Jason added "Go out? I see he's taken a step down from max." Erica replied trying yet again to close the door but felt Jason push against it so it wouldn't close. Jason chuckled "I'm sorry, uh, well. You're the little sister who plays Dungeons & Dragons, huh?" Jason spoke gesturing to Erika "What's it to you?" She told him slightly confused, "Do you know Dustin Henderson?" Jason said slipping his hands into his pockets. "Know him? I've bled with him. Chances are, he's with your cheater boyfriend. Oh, if and when you do find Lucas. Please tell him I've been covering for his ass for two days. Each day of covering costs ten bucks, with a DPR. That's a daily percentage rate of 7.9%. Another week of this and he's buying me a goddamn Nintendo, With duck hunt" Erika spoke before slamming the door in Jason's face. Jason walked back to the car with a facial expression of annoyance and guilt, he slammed the door once he was inside "Where the hell's Sinclair?" One of the jocks asked as Jason grabbed his wheel "That's what we're about to find out, we've been tricked, boys" Jason spoke before lifting his handbrake causing his tires to screech as he began to drive.

Steve, Dustin, Lucas, and Max were all in Mike's house looking through images of Victor Creel's newspaper pages "Okay, be honest. Uh... You guys understand any of this?" Steve asked as he walked the room still reading the page in his hand "No" Lucas replied bluntly also still reading a page. "Pretty straightforward" Dustin spat out with a cheeky grin on his face, "Oh, straightforward, really?" Steve added as he stood looking at the two males. "What's confusing to you?" Dustin asked with a face of confusion "So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died, except for this old Victor Creel dude Nancy found out about. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him" Dustin spoke glancing at both Lucas and Steve. "That's assuming he was cursed, which we don't even know." Steve spoke pointing out the one inconsistency in the theory "How can Vecna have existed in the '50s? It doesn't make any sense." Steve also added. "Far as we know, Eleven didn't create the Upside Down. She opened a gate to it. The Upside Down has probably been around for thousands of years. Millions. I wouldn't be surprised if it predated the dinosaurs" Dustin spoke as he thought about everything they had been through. "Dinosaurs? What are-" Steve began to speak. "Okay. But If a gate didn't exist in the '50s, how did Vecna get through?" Lucas spoke as he began to unravel the story as well. "How's he getting through now?" Steve added, "And why now?" Lucas spoke to both of them turnin2g to Dustin "And why then? Just pops out in the '50s, Kills one family, and he's like, 'I'm good' and poof just disappears. Just... Gone? Only to return years later and start killing random teens? No, I don't buy it." Steve spoke in frustration before walking away with a sign, "Straightforward, my ass. Honestly, Henderson a little humility now and then, it wouldn't hurt you" Steve spoke pointing at Dustin with his paper. "Sorry" Dustin replied before looking down at his hands again. The three sat quietly as Steve sat down and began to read again, Dustin noticed Max sat at a desk writing " Any idea what she's writing?" Dustin spoke as Lucas looked up and shrugged causing Steve to turn in his seat to look at Max "Did she sleep?" Dustin added, "I mean, would you?" Lucas answered Dustin before the loud sound of a door opening caused the group to go quiet.

Nancy, Robin, and April all walked down the stairs and into the basement. "Okay, so... We have a plan" April spat out as she grinned looking at her sister and Robin, after a little while everyone was comfy and Steve began to read what April had given him. "Thanks to Nancy's newspaper minions and April looks, come on she is gorgeous. We three are now rock-star psychology students at the University of Notre Dame." Robin spoke as she looked around at the three males. "I'm now Nora" April spoke with a cute smile "I'm now Ruth" Nancy spoke as she crossed her legs "and I'm Rose" Robin spoke causing the three girls to giggle. "Nora?" Steve spoke as he gave April a strange look causing her to wiggle her head with a smile "Nora is like an old woman's name... They will be shocked when they see me" April gigged, "Nice GPA" Dustin spoke to Nancy causing her to smile "Thanks" she replied quickly. "So we called Pennhurst Asylum, told them we'd like to speak with Creel for a thesis we're co-writing on paranoid schizophrenics-" Nancy spoke as Robina and April glanced at each other "To which they said no" Robin spoke. "Big no" April added "But we landed a three o'clock with the director" Nancy spoke giving April a slight death stare, "Now all we have to do is charm him which won't be hard with April, and convince him to let us talk to Victor" Robin spoke as April nodded along. "Then maybe we can rid Max of this curse" April spoke as she turned to look at Max, Her non-blood sister, "Yeah about that, we've been doing our Victor Creel homework, and, uh... We got some questions" Steve spoke as he looked at the three girls "Lots of questions" Lucas added as he sat back. "So do we. Hopefully, Victor has the answers" Nancy spoke as she lightly clapped her hands together. "wait... wait... wait a second. Uh... Where's mine?" Steve asked keeping his eyes on April knowing she would probably tell the truth "Well... Robin and Nancy thought it was probably best if you didn't as I wouldn't be able to charm the direction if he thought you were my boyfriend and well... It was more Robin than Nancy but" April spoke quickly.

"Nancy, you guys are outta your mind if you think I'm babysitting again" Steve spoke as he followed Nancy to her room. "First, they're not babies anymore. and Max is in real danger. She needs people around her" Nancy replied as he pushed open her wardrobe "I know. But why me? Why not Robin? Or April?" Steve argued back in a frustrated tone. "Oh my God, you have a Tom Cruise poster" Robin shouted in excitement as she walked into Nancy's bedroom as April walked into her own, the difference between the two rooms where enough to make anyone start to cry or laugh. "That's old" Nancy spoke as she began to look through her clothes wanting them to look sophisticated enough, Robin began to look and touch almost anything and everything in Nancy's room "Can you please not touch anything?" Nancy spoke her tone becoming thick with anger "I can't do anything here, Nance. Maybe I can be helpful with this asylum director dude. I don't know. I could turn on my... My charm like April does" Steve spoke clicking his fingers as he thought "Not the charm we need" Nancy replied. She knew the charm that she needed was from her little sister, "ouch" Steve spoke as he began to walk towards the door "No I just... I did a little digging last night, and it turns out this Dr. Hatch is a distinguished fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a Harvard visiting scholar, okay? This is a lifelong student of the world. If we're gonna win him over, We're gonna need April and also to convince him we are too. That, like him..." Nancy spoke getting annoyed as she watched Robin continuing to touch everything as a music box began to play "We are true academic scholars. Robin stop touching" Nancy squeaked "Holy shit. There's a little ballerina in here" Robin replied. "Academic scholar? She's giving you an academic scholar vibe? Yeah," Steve replied as he pointed at Robin who was being entertained by a spinning ballerina "No, but...She will" Nancy spoke holding up a pink frilly dress "Oh, please tell me you're joking... I'm going to April's room" Robin spoke as she practically ran to the next room closely followed by Steve who also thought it was probably best to go to April's room too. April was currently standing in her bedroom just in her underwear looking through her clothes to see what made her look the poshest, she wasn't even faced when the two walked in as Robins's mouth fell to the floor as she glanced at Steve "I can see why you like her" Robin whispered causing Steve to smirk slightly and nod.