Chapter Eighteen - Dream A Little Dream Of Me

The group had arrived at the graveyard where Billy was buried, all of them tired other than Max who looked out the window "Turn here" She spoke bluntly causing Dustin to glance at her "Here?" He questioned as she just nodded back, They pulled up and Max got out of the car almost instantly "Max?" Lucas spoke as he followed her out "Lucas, please, just wait in the car." She replied with frustration, "Max, just wait. Max, please." Lucas spoke as he finally got in front of her "Lucas, just wait..." She spoke her face like thunder, "Just listen to me. Just, please. I know something happened there with your mother. Was it Vecna?" Lucas spoke causing Max to grow quiet "I told you, I'm fine. Okay? I mean, as fine as someone who's hurtling towards a gruesome death can be." Max spoke for some reason with a true smile on her face "Max... You know you can talk to me. Right?" Lucas spoke his voice full of worry "Yeah, I know that." Max nodded with a slight smirk "Okay, then why do you keep pushing me away?" He spoke his voice frustrated "Okay, look, I don't need a letter. I don't want a letter. Just talk to me. To your friends. We're right here. I'm right here. Okay? I'm here." Lucas spoke holding his hand out to her "Wait in the car. This won't be long." Max spoke before walking away, leaving Lucas stood alone.

"When he attacks, our friend described it as a trance. Like a waking nightmare. That's why we think he's coming for her next. Does any of this, anything we've told you, sound like what happened to your family?" Nancy asked, Victor's breath was shaky hearing what he had been through had started on other people "Victor. I know this is hard..." Nancy added, "You don't know anything!" Victor shouted back out of frustration that the three girls had clearly no idea about what they were talking about "You're right. We don't know. That's why we're here. To learn, to understand. We need to know how you survived that night." April spoke her voice soft within the current angry air that surrounded them as Victor laughed in disbelief "Survived? Is that what you call this? Did I survive?" Victor spoke as he groaned "I assure you, I am still very much in hell." He added holding his hands tightly together "I had been back from the war some 14 years. Her great-uncle had died, leaving us a small fortune. Enough to buy a new home, a new life." Victor spoke as the images replied in his mind "What'd I tell ya?" Young victor spoke "Wow. This is amazing. It looks like a fairy tale. A dream." Alice, Victor's daughter spoke "Alice, no running." His wife replied to their daughter "It's so big!" Alice shouted back causing her mother to giggle, Victor sighed as he held his wife close "This is nice." He spoke "Yeah." His wife replied "It was a magnificent home. Yeah. Alice said it looked like it was from a fairy tale." Victor spoke to the three girls as they stood in front of him "Alice. Was this your daughter?" April asked leaning her hand onto one of the bars on the cell "Mmm. Yeah. But Henry, my... My boy, he was a sensitive child... and I could see he felt something was wrong. We had one month of peace in that house. And then it began." Victor spoke as his memories began to play again, He saw Alice going down a slide and seeing a dead rabbit on the grass causing his daughter to gasp. "Dead animals, mutilated, tortured, began to appear near our home. Rabbits, squirrels, chickens, and even dogs. The police chief blamed the attacks on a wildcat. This... this was no wildcat. This was evil. And evil neither animal nor human. This was a spawn of Satan. A demon. And it was even closer than I realized." He spoke walking up the bars feeling April's hand brush his arm because he was so close. His wife was running a bath in the bathroom, due to the old pipes it would creak but all of a sudden thousands of spiders claimed out of the drain causing his wife to scream and run "Victor!" She shouted. "My family began to have encounters conjured by this demon. Nightmares. Waking, living nightmares. This demon seemed to take pleasure in tormenting us. Even poor, innocent Alice." Victor spoke, Alice shrieked causing the parents to run to her room "Alice! It's okay, sweetie. It's okay. Come here." Her mother spoke cuddling her, "It wasn't long before I began to have encounters of my own." Victor spoke, He sat in an armchair in his living room reading with the fire on before hearing a baby crying, he looked at the fire to see a baby in a basket rocking in and out of it with the flames roaring around it.

"I suppose all evil must have a home. And though I had not a rational explanation for it, I... I could sense this demon, always close. I became convinced it was hiding, nesting, somewhere within the shadows of our home. It had cursed our town. It had cursed our home. It had cursed us." Victor spoke as he began to get upset, his family and himself all sat around the table when the radio turned on by itself playing Dream a little dream of me by Ella Fitzgerald, he tried to turn it off yet the station would just change before suddenly his wife was taken into the air and killed the same way Chrissy and Fred did "It took Virginia first" Victor spoke as he began to rock in his bed "I tried to get the children out, to save them." He spoke before seeing himself pulling on the front door with his daughter and son behind him "Come on! Come on!" Victor shouted as he pulled before ending up in his own trance "Creel. Creel! What the hell happened here?" a soldier spoke to him "But I was back to France, back in the war. It... it was a memory. I had thought German soldiers were inside. I ordered its shelling." He spoke as he saw the baby on fire in the fireplace screaming "This demon, it was taunting me. And I was sure it would take me, just as he'd taken my Virginia." Victor spoke his hands scratching at the side of his face causing April to grow worried "But then... I heard... another voice. At first, I believed it was an angel. And I... I followed her, only to find myself... in a nightmare far worse."He added being back inside the house and seeing both of his children laying on the floor "While I was away, the demon took my children. Henry slipped into a coma shortly after that. A week later, he died. I tried to join them. I tried." Victor spoke remembering how he tried to cut his eyes out with a razor when he first came to prison. "Hatch stopped the bleeding. He wouldn't let me join them." Victor whimpered as he rocked. "The angel you followed, who was she?" April asked as she watched him lie down and start to hum Dream a Little Dream of Me "Victor? Victor."April spoke before she squeaked when the sound of a door opening caused all the girls to jump back from the cell "Is he everything you hoped he would be? I just had a very interesting conversation with Professor Brantley. Perhaps we should discuss it in my office while we wait for the police."Dr. Hatch spoke with three guards standing behind him.