Chapter Seventeen - Real Pretty One Too

Steve, Dustin, Max, and Lucas finally arrived outside of Max's Trailer "This better be fast, Mayfield." Steve spoke as he pulled up not realizing Max was already halfway out of the car "Twenty seconds." She replied before walking inside "That thing's got batteries in it, right?" Steve asked looking at Dustin who rolled his eyes "I'm not even answering that question." Dustin replied before seeing Steve's face "Yes, it has batteries." He replied back seriously "Yeah, I got it." Steve replied back before staring out the window. Max was laying out all the envelopes in her trailer with her family's names on them, she sighed lightly when placing the letter down for her mother. She stood and began to leave the trailer when she saw her mom outside hanging washing onto the line she ran out of the trailer and began to walk to her "Mom" Max shouted as she walked "Hey, sweetie. I thought you were with your friends today." her mom replied turning towards her and walked closer "Yeah, I... I was. I am. Shouldn't you be at work?" Max asked as she thought about the letters she had left inside "Oh, Mr. Bradley let me off early. So I'm just catching up on some chores." Her mother replied as she glanced down at Max "Um, I... I left some letters inside. For you and... and Granny and Uncle Jack. And Dad. If you can find him." Max spoke her head staying on the floor instead of glancing at her mother "Letters? I... I don't understand." Her mother replied her face full of concern "Uh, I just... um... With all the murders and everything, I... I know it's stupid, but I just started to think, 'What if something happens to me?'" Max replied her voice full of sadness and belief that she was next "Max, baby, nothing is going to happen to you." Her mother almost argued back knowing what her daughter was trying to say "I know. But if... if it did, I just... There are so many things that I want to say, that I need to say. And... Promise you'll give the letters out?" Max spoke as her eyes started to fill with tears "Max, you're scaring me." her mom replied. 

"I'm not trying to scare you." Max replied bluntly trying not to show her emotions the best she could "Is something going on?" She asked again "No." Max spoke her voice suddenly strong and powerful. "Is it, baby?" Her mother asked "No. No, you're right. I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm being silly." Max spoke her tone being faint "Max. Oh, sweetie." Her mother spoke pulling her into a tight hug "Shh. It's okay. Nothing is going to happen, baby." Her mother spoke running her hand over her hair like April always did "I promise." Her mother spoke again, the sky suddenly turned dark "Nothing you don't deserve." Her mother spoke her voice sounding deeper and darker than ever before, the sky almost rumbled. Max looked around before realizing everything was different, all the clean clothes that were being hung were now full of blood "Mom, let go of me. Mom? Let go." Max spoke feeling a long hand grow behind her "Maxine. Do you think some letters are going to make things right? You've broken everything." Vecna spoke as he held Max how her mother was, "Your time is almost at an end." Vecna added as he watched Max begin to fumble in his arms "Let go!" Max screamed as the air filled with the sound of a clock chiming yet again. Max felt like she was being dropped before waking up back in the normal world on the grass with the sun shining down on her, she got up and walked with speed back to Steve's car all of the males were standing outside the car all sharing the same worried look "Hey, that was longer than 20 seconds. Hey, whoa, whoa. You all right?" Steve spoke as he turned trying to look at her face "I'm fine. Just drive." She spoke as she got into the car "Did something happen?" Dustin asked turning in his seat to look at her "Can we please just go?" Max asked as she looked out the window. 

"These are our gardens. Beautiful, aren't they? We allow them two hours of outside time a day." Dr. Hatch spoke as he showed the girls around, keeping pretty April at his side with Nancy and Robin close behind "Can't they just escape?" Robin asked from behind "They could. But the vast majority choose to be here. They like it here." He replied as they all took in the garden that they were walking through before turning up into the large building being grated with the sound of classical music "This is one of our more popular areas. The listening room. We found that music has a particularly calming effect on the broken mind. The right song, particularly one which holds some personal meaning, can prove a salient stimulus. But there are those who are beyond a cure." He spoke as he walked soon bringing them down a level to where Victor was kept. "Uh, Dr. Hatch, do you think it might be possible for us to speak to Victor alone?" April asked stopping on the last step of the stairs "Alone?" He questioned her as she nodded "I... I think that we would just love the challenge of speaking with Victor without the safety net of an expert such as yourself. Then we could really rub it in Professor Bradley's face." Robin spoke looking straight at the male with her sweetest smile "Professor Bradley? I don't believe I know a Professor Bradley." Dr. Hatch replied throwing all of the girls off "Brantley. She... she meant to say, Brantley." Nancy spoke trying to fix the current situation "Didn't I say, Brantley? What did I say? Sorry, silly me. Words, letters. Guess I'm just nervous. I mean, excited. So excited to speak with Victor. Preferably, as she said, alone?" Robin spoke gesturing at April who stood with the most innocent face she could pull, Dr. Hatch looked at April and almost melted at her facial expression "Yes. Why not? You've caught me in a rebellious mood and there's something rather urgent I need to check on anyway, so... Sure. Keep a close eye on them." He said to the guard who nodded "Thank you so much, Dr. Hatch." April spoke sweetly as she showed him a sweet smile "Thank you." Both Robin and Nancy replied as he walked up the stairs, they all turned back as the guard opened the door for them.

The sound of keys rattling filled the air as the door opened and ground across the floor the room filled with patients talking, "Do not startle him. Do not touch him. Do not pass him anything. Stand five feet away from the bars at all times." The guard spoke as the three girls glanced into every cell "Get away." One patient spoke before seeing the light dance across Aprils face causing him to get closer to the bars "Oh this one is beautiful, she needs to stay" He spoke causing Aprils speed to quicken till she was directly next to the guard "Is that clear?" The guard spoke, "Yes, sir." April spoke as Robin nodded "Yes, sir." Nancy spoke again. The guard ran his baton against the bars of Victor's cell causing it to clang on each one "Victor. Today's your lucky day! You got visitors. Real pretty one too" The guard spoke, Victor ran his nails along with the metal table as a loud scratch sound grew to cause April to wince slightly "Must be in one of his moods. Have fun." The guard spoke before quickly walking down the hall sharing one last look at April. Victor growled lightly as a snarl left his throat " Victor? My name is Nancy. Nancy Wheeler. And this is... Robin Buckley. As well as the pretty one, April Wheeler, my sister" Nancy spoke trying to get Victor's attention, "Um, we have some questions." She added "I don't talk to reporters. Hatch knows that." Victor replied bluntly "We're not reporters. We're here because... we believe you. And because we need your help." Nancy spoke softly "Whatever killed your family, we think it's back." April spoke as she stepped closer to the bars, the sound of his nails grew before he turned to show his eyes that were all cut and scarred causing the girls to gasp quietly.