𝟒.

Mon. 1st September | 6:22am
Will Byers

As I button up my blouse, I look at my tie on the sink and sigh, knowing that I don't know how to tie it.

"Need some help?" I flinch slightly and look through the reflection of the mirror, Mike standing there, already dressed.

"Yeah..." I admit, and he stands in front of me. I look down at the steps but look back up to his face when realising that he's moving too fast for me to follow.

When he's done, Mike looks back at me, his face mere inches away from mine. When I notice myself leaning closer an inch, I quickly get back to my senses and walk away, my shoulder brushing against him as I exit the bathroom.

Why did I do that?

Did he notice it?

I hope not.

I pull my blazer on and lean down to tie my shoelaces, walking to my bag afterwards to make sure I have everything. I prepared at least 3 days ago. When I throw my bag over my shoulder and look around the dorm to search for Mike, I realise that he already left. Walking with him could've been nice but I suppose this is also fine.

I sigh falls out of my lips as I exit the dorm and close the door behind me, walking through the halls. I see Mike around 40 feet ahead of me and look down at my feet as I walk, not realising my arrival to class until the door opens and I almost bump into it. Luckily, the teacher doesn't notice and I just walk in as if nothing almost happened, taking a seat at the back.

"Hi."

For the second time today, I flinch and turn to my side, a curly-haired, wide-smiled male standing by me and soon inviting himself next to me.

"Hi." I reply.

"I'm Dustin." His smile becomes brighter.

"I'm... Will." I say, not really knowing what more to add.

"Oh, Byers? You're that guy from the more rural part in Hawkins, right? Didn't you go missing once too? It was all over th-"

I thought people had gotten over that already. (a.n. this doesn't link to the upside down since magic doesn't exist here, Will generally just got lost in the woods for this one.)

"Okay, class. Settle down!" The teacher yells while making his way to the front of the class.

"My name is Mr Harrington, and I will be your English teacher for the year! I hope I'll be able to get to know everyone in this class really well for the best outcome of the school year."

I like him.

To be honest, I was scared that I would get scary and irritating teachers - I mean I still might - but I already like him a lot already based on his first impression.

. . .

I walk down the corridor and go to my locker to get my science book, noticing Mike across the hall at his locker.

"Hey, Mike." I blurt out, only just realising I've approached him and his... friend.

"You want something, freak?" He says, taking a step closer to me, which intimidates me immediately. I move back and part my lips in fear, memories - bad memories - from my old school flashing in my mind. I glance at Mike in disbelief and he looks back with a blunt expression on his face like he doesn't give a crap how I've been treated just now. I quickly walk away to avoid a bad situation and luckily, they get off my back.

I hear the bell ring and hurry to class, sitting down by a microscope. I take a moment to realise that Mike is standing by my desk. Oh hell no.

"Hey um... can you be my lab partner?"