𝟏𝟎.

Max Mayfield

"This time you... meant it, right?" I mumble atop El - my head just under her chest - on her bed as she runs her fingers through my unruly red hair.

"Meant what?"

"The kiss..." I say quietly with a soft smile.

"Yes... to be honest, though, I meant it the other time too. I just wasn't sure yet. If that makes sense—"

"Yes. It does." I lean up to El's face, beaming before pecking her rosy pink lips.

After a few seconds of a comfortable silence, El speaks again.

"Is... is it okay if we keep this a secret?" She asks and my face falls. I completely understand how she feels - considering that I'm still in the closet too - but I also can't help feeling a little hurt hearing it aloud.

"Just until I figure things out." She adds, interlocking our fingers together against her pillow in assurance.

"Of course." I reply after a moment of hesitation, knowing it's the best thing to do for now. "But, what about Mike?"

"Don't worry about him. I will end things when it's right, okay?"

"Okay." I agree and we continue to lay silently.

Mike Wheeler

It'd been a week since we arrived in California, and today we're all at the beach, well- all except my dad, who's at this business meeting.

"Holly, don't run too far!" Mom scolds the blondie as she ecstatically runs towards the waves. I'm sat on the sand stuck in my thoughts, with Will beside me and I expect he's probably doing the same hence the silence.

"Mike! Go get Holly!" She shouts at me and I flinch before turning my gaze to her. I roll my eyes as she continues to converse with one of her friends under a preppy umbrella and get up, running towards the water to collect my little sister.

"Holly, come! You can't be here alone!" I explain with a loud tone so Holly can hear, a smile playing on my lips so she doesn't get the idea that I'm angry.

She frowns with puppy eyes, weakening me immediately.

"Okay, okay. Do you want me to swim with you?" I offer and she nods sweetly.

I jump into the water and wrap both my arms around my younger sister's waist, pulling her further into the ocean with me.

Will Byers

I watch as Mike and Holly play together in the water, smiling at how wholesome their relationship is. Jonathan and I used to be close, but I don't know... I guess he's just been much more distant lately. It's probably because he's busy with his work experience assignments but I don't see him much during break either.

I look down at the ground between my legs, poking the sand with my index fingers in boredom. This past week has been great but sometimes I can't help but feel like a burden, not being in this family and all.

I shift my gaze back up to the ravenette and his sister, mesmerised by the way his hair looks when wet as he happily splashes the salty water.

I'm caught off guard when Mike stops for a moment and meets my gaze from our long distance before beckoning me to join them. I get up without hesitation and run towards the two, jumping into the water.