𝟏𝟓.

Will Byers

Today was pretty bad, to say the least. Even though Mike 'shooed' the bullies away, I can't help but feel like things will be worse now. All that was proved is that I'm just some sensitive boy incapable of defending myself for crap - I mean everyone always knew that, but today just confirmed that fact and I don't know what to do about it.

I used to attend Hawkins Middle School before transferring here and my school life was hell back then. Mom probably thought this would be better but something inside me is telling me she's wrong.

I lay against my pillow and let out a deep sigh, staring aimlessly into the room in thought uninterrupted for a while before hearing the front doorbell ringing.

I groan softly against the fabric of my blanket before getting up and going to the front door. I open it, not expecting to see a redhead standing at the entrance with a matching fiery expression on her face.

"U-um... can I help you?"

Don't punch me, don't punch me, don't punch me, don't punch me...

"Does Mike Wheeler live here?" She asks, grimacing when speaking his name.

"Erm... yes but he's at school right now." I answer, shifting uncomfortably on the spot.

"Well that's convenient..." She rolls her eyes, and silence plays for a bit before she furrows her brows at me, almost in... realisation?

"Hey- you're El's gay brother aren't you? Will?" She questions me, catching me off guard.

Oh my god I knew I shouldn't have trusted that dumbass with this. Crap, crap, crap...

"Um... I guess so, yeah." I look down shamefully.

"Max Mayfield! The definition of bisexual at its finest. Nice to meet you." She announces, and I'm surprised by her change of tone and emotion. I hesitantly shift my gaze towards her, not expecting her hand to be reaching out for me.

Well that took a turn.

"Yo-you're like me?" I ask Max, taking her hand as a small smile hints on my lips. We shake hands briefly before she nods and crosses her arms loosely.

"Yup, I guess you could say that." She pauses.

"Do you... mind if I come in for a bit?

. . .

"... and then your dorm mate, her douchebag of a boyfriend Mike stood her up! El waited for a good half hour yesterday but he just never showed. And that's not even the worst thing! Him and El are out all the time. Like- all the time. It's literally abnormal. But he chose last night, of all nights, to not show!"

"What's so important about last night?" I ask, and she goes silent for a bit.

"Well, um...

She- she was gonna end things with him." She mumbles incoherently.

"What?"

"I said she was gonna end things with him! Listen, generally I would let their relationship be but... El's cheating—"

"She's what?!"

"With me."

The man was too stunned to speak. My subconscious mocks me.

"Okay that's a lot-" I admit, quickly flashing a smile.

"It's gonna be fine though! I'm sure that they'll meet again some other time and they can just break up then." I assure her, and she shrugs.

"I mean, I guess... but it just doesn't feel right! I never really liked Mike but how would he feel if he found out that she was cheating on him?"

"Yeah... I guess that is a little messed up." I agree with a nod, getting up from the couch and reaching out my hand for her.

Even though I haven't told Max anything about my own personal issues, I still feel more comfortable with her than... probably anyone else in the world! It's ironic that a girl, who I've known for far less than an hour, is someone I want to associate myself with because even though our problems differ a little, I can still understand her and maybe I'll be ready to tell her some things myself soon too.

"Let's go somewhere. Y'know- to take our mind off things." I offer her, my face falling in expectancy that she won't accept my hand. After a few seconds, a smile forms on her face and she takes it, getting up with a small hop.

"Sure."

. . .
Mike Wheeler

I know that I shouldn't be, but I can't help but feel worried. Worried about Will.

He left in such a tense state and I don't know... maybe I said something wrong?

I mean just generally. If I really think about it, Will always ends up finding ways to escape from having a conversation with me.

Maybe it's something I did.

But what, though?

Maybe the rumours were true and you made him feel bad about himself.

Shut up, they're not.

"Michael? Don't you want to review your pop quiz results? You're just staring into nothing." I hear someone say, awakening me from my thoughts.

"Oh- um... sorry, Mr Clarke." I apologise before he places the quiz on my desk.

"C-... that's not like you, Michael. Could we talk after class?"

I sigh. "Sure."

. . .

I stay seated as the classroom starts to clear before Mr Clarke approaches my desk and takes a random chair to sit on.

"Hey."

"Hey." I flatly reply, awkwardly shifting my gaze downwards as my leg starts to jerk under the table.

"So, do you mind telling me what's been going on? Don't forget that I'm your mentor as well and I'd like for you to tell me if there's a problem... maybe, I don't know... maybe, I can help." He smiles reassuringly.

"There's nothing wrong." I respond, chewing on the inner part of my bottom lip.

"Really, Michael? Nothing?" He takes a short breath. "You have shown great performance this past month, not to mention the outstanding grades that your parents showed me on your previous report cards before you started here. Surely there has to be something affecting your grades. Do you not live comfortably in your dorm? Is that it?" He asks.

"No. I'm fine. Just tired." I insist.

Mr Clarke sighs in defeat and leans back against the chair, nodding.

"Okay, if you say so... anyway, Will is your dorm mate and lab partner, isn't he? Do you know where he might be? I haven't seen him today."

"Um..."

"I-I don't feel good. Please just tell Mr Diaz I'm not well?"

"He's sick."

"Oh, okay. If you don't mind, give him his result paper and tell him I said hello." He inquires politely before leaving the sheet by me and getting up to return to his desk.

To Be Continued...

a.n.
Im sorry it took longerrrr ahhh love you <33