𝟒𝟔.

Michael Wheeler

I can't breathe.

This can't be happening.

My wide eyed gaze fixates on dad, and I gulp when he displays some sort of expression in return. One of which I can't tell what he's feeling right now. I just know that it isn't good.

Shortly, I hear more footsteps approaching from up the stairs. Mom.

I shift my gaze towards her and shakily exhale, briefly glancing at dad as to let her know that I'm in deep shit right now.

Karen Wheeler

When my son looks at Ted with pure fear on his face, I can immediately tell that something is wrong. I swallow, shifting my gaze between the two. Mike keeps glancing over at me, Ted refuses to avert his gaze from him, and Richie... bless him, he doesn't know what to do.

"Uhm... d-dad, I didn't think you would be home today..."

That is a lie.

I specifically remember informing him that Ted wouldn't be going to town hall since he was going to spend time with me. In fact, the only reason he came down in the first place was because he planned on making tea for the both of us, something I thought was really sweet since— well... he doesn't do much around the house.

"Richard go upstairs, please." My husband orders with a stern tone, still not breaking his contact with Mike. Richie obeys and leaves the living room, making me even more anxious. What did Mike do?

"Ted, what's wrong?" I ask, trying to remain calm.

"Did you know that our son is a faggot?"

I arch my brows, not expecting Ted to find out about this.

Crap. This isn't good.

"Don't call him that..."

"No. No, you know what, I will call him that. Michael needs to understand that this behaviour is not good. It's not good for his brain, and it's not good for our family name. What do we do when others start talking?" I part my lips, not knowing how to answer that. I understand that there are people out there who will genuinely go out their way to hurt people for being a certain way or liking certain things. But I can't let Ted be like this to Mike.

"I need to teach you a lesson." He continues in the second person. My eyes widen when his hands lower to his belt, unbuckling it from his pants.

No, no, no.

"Ted, no. Stop this." I say, my voice sounding much more bold as I say this. But he doesn't listen to me.

He grips it into his hand and I'm frozen in place. Frozen in place until his hand raises in attempt to strike Mike, but I don't let him. I rush towards him and grab onto his arm, trying to prevent him from hurting my boy. But then, he swats me away and I don't even notice the belt hitting me until I feel a sting on my face.

I yelp in pain and before I know it, I'm watching him hurt Mike. And I'm watching Mike helplessly trying to defend himself by holding his arms over his face as he gets struck by that leather belt.

"How DARE you! I warned you about that fucking kid but you didn't listen to me! And look at you now... YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN HIM."

Whip.

"And now you're trying to encourage Richard too!? What's wrong with you? WHAT is wrong with you!?"

Whip.

Shit, shit, shit...

I have to do something.

I look around the house in panic, the house phone in the kitchen being the first thing that catches my attention. I rush out of the living room and into the kitchen, pulling the phone out of the cradle before dialling 911.

Pick up, pick up, pick up...

As I wait for an answer, I look back over at the scene, my lips trembling as a tear rolls down my cheek.

This can't be happening...

I flinch when I hear an answer and inhale a sharp breath in attempt to contain myself.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Uh, hel— hello! Please, please hurry to 2530 Maple Street! My son, he's— he's getting hurt and I can't do anything and I need you to hurry, please!"

My breath becomes audibly heavier as I await a response.

"Uh— don't worry, ma'am, officers are being sent your way. Please stay on the line while you wait and stay calm. The station isn't too far away from your location and the waiting process will not be long."

I grimace when the dispatcher tells me to stay calm— whenever anyone tells me that, the situation is never something to be calm about. Despite this, I exhale in attempt to calm down even though my son is actively being abused.

I'm such a bad mother.

I want nothing more than to go in that room and pull Mike away so that I get hurt instead of him but...

Wait.

No buts.

I have to help him.

I flare my nose in anger before placing the phone on the counter and rushing my way back to the living room with my fists balled.

"Ma'am... ma'am?"

Are the words that I faintly hear coming from the phone but I ignore it. Who knew that adrenaline could penetrate through one's body so quickly?

When I'm close enough to the both of them, I push Mike away so that I get hit by the belt instead of him.

"Agh!" I groan, my teeth seething in pain.

"Mom!" He yells and I can see the look of fright on his face. Ted grabs my arm and I gasp in pain when he tightens the grip.

"Get away!" I scream at him, yanking my arm away. The pressure when I pull away causes me to fall on the floor, and my heart drops when he raises the belt again, this time aiming towards me.

Michael Wheeler

My hand shakily ascends to my mouth as I try to contain my tears, but I simply can't. I'm looking at my mom on the floor in front of me being hurt and I have no idea what to do. I can't move and I'm struggling to breathe through the tears I'm choking on.

"D-dad, stop hurting he-her... please..." I request weakly between hiccups, sliding down the wall with my back against it. I cover my face with my trembling hands and bury myself in my knees, hoping that the moment will end quicker this way.

I can't watch this.

The stinging pain on my arms and torso is excruciating and all that's doing is triggering more tears.

I have never been so scared in my whole life.

All three of us flinch when we hear loud banging on the door, and I exchange glances with my mother. When she smiles with a wide eyed gaze, I do the same, feeling hope that we're going to finally escape this.

"Open up! Police!"

Dad looks at mom with his teeth gritted.

"You bitch..." He slurs.

To Be Continued...

a.n. HELP the way I drafted this chapter at like 2am 😍😍 I had sm fun with it

I hope you guys enjoyed it too <3