𝟒𝟗.

Sat. 15th February 1986 | 01:37pm
Michael Wheeler

The sound of my phone loudly trilling close by causes me to jump, and I look around.

I'm... in my room?

Oh, thank fuck...

It looked so real, though...

I was being brutally humiliated in front of the whole school and worst of all, Will betrayed me — the thing I dread the most in my life.

I want to cry in frustration for having a dream like that because it genuinely makes me feel like shit. Sure, none of that stuff happened but what if it does in the future? I still have until Monday for that to happen. Like those dreams that actually come true? Except it's not a dream, but a nightmare.

I rub my eyes and groan in annoyance when I pick up the phone.

Who is calling me so early??

As soon as I lay the phone against my ear, I flinch and pull it away when I'm met with Max's voice shouting into the line.

"Hey Mikeee!"

"Ugh... Go away, I'm sleeping...!" I roll my eyes.

"It's literally almost 2pm— what do you mean??"

TWO PM? I could've sworn I fell asleep at like... 7pm! How the hell have I been sleeping for 19 hours??

"Anyway— I don't care, I want to tell you what me and Lucas got for each other since it's Valentine's and all~" Max continues, and I can hear the smile in her voice. I'm happy for her and Lucas, but why does she want to tell me about this? We aren't even close and argue 90% of the time.

"Can't you tell El or something? Or Dustin, Will—"

"No."

I blink.

"No?"

"I want to be your friend therefore I'm going to tell you so we can talk about it."

Oh?

I've always liked Max— even though I don't seem it. She's cool and I see a lot of herself in me. I can't help but be annoyed that she's talking to me now, though. Doesn't she know everything that, well, went down yesterday? It's probably all over the news by now...

Then again, Max doesn't watch the news.

Ugh...

You know what, maybe this is good. Even if the pain will return soon, she could be my temporary fix. Plus, a conversation with her wouldn't kill me I guess.

"Miiiiiiike— are you aliiiiive?"

Oh, right...

"Yeah... yeah— whatever. What did you get for Valentine's Day?"

"Okay so— he got me so much stuff and literally I could not stop yelling at him because dude, he spent so much money on me! It's not like he bought lots of reasonably-priced stuff, he went to like— those full on expensive places and spent hundreds— I don't know how his parents didn't get mad at him, like I guess my mom wouldn't care really much but my dad wouldn't have the end of it if I spent so much on Lucas which is why I feel bad about the stuff I got him since it's not as pricey. And I know, like— price doesn't matter but it just doesn't sit right with m—"

Jesus, can she get to the point?

I tiredly blink and rest my cheek in my palm, aimlessly staring at the wall as I try to process everything Max is saying— which, may I mention, is very hard to do when she recites a whole essay about Lucas spending money rather than the actual gifts he got for her and vice versa.

"Anyway— so he got me a skateboard and the sweetest thing is that it says 'Madrid' at the back like all my previous ones! He's so attentive, ugh... he got meeee chocolate, roses, a necklace— it was like 300 dollars dude! Like— isn't that a lot of money?? Oh, and he also wrote this really cute letter I literally burst into tears reading it!"

That's actually really sweet...

I look down at my lap and sigh in thought. Should I have gotten Will a proper gift??

I don't know... he seemed happy yesterday, but he's just generally a grateful person. What if the flowers and letters weren't enough?

Stop overthinking it.

I bring my attention back to the phone call.

"That's really nice... and what did you get him?"

"A bunch of sour patch kids, Yin and Yang bracelets and a letter. In the letter I kinda just talked about how much I appreciate him and stuff, and I also spoke about the bracelets and that opposites attract and grumpy x sunshine yada-yada shit— you get the idea."

Yup. Totally.

"I think the stuff you got him is nice! He loves sour patch kids and he probably appreciates that you remembered that, the letter and the bracelets are really sweet too so you shouldn't worry about it too much."

"Damn, Michael, didn't think I'd ever see you giving me advice." She giggles.

I chuckle in response to that — and not a wry, fake chuckle, but a genuine one. I haven't smiled or laughed since... well— yesterday afternoon which isn't long ago, but still ironic since I smile more, normally.

I make no sense.

"I try." I grin.

Point is... I feel a little better already. Who knew you just need a little bit of Max Mayfield to cheer you up? What's crazy is that she doesn't know what happened yesterday... she's completely clueless yet still knows how to make people happy. It's in her nature.

I can't believe I disliked her so much.

William Byers

"Any luck?" I ask, but El shakes her head with her usual doe-eyed gaze.

"Still no... she's not answering."

This is the worst time for Max to not pick up.

After finding out what happened to Mike, I wanted nothing more than to go there but Hopper wouldn't let him. Said he 'needed space'. Yes, I know that's probably true but I'm just so worried about him and I want to make sure he's okay. So do El, and Dustin and Lucas who are waiting in the living room.

I turn around when I hear Dustin's footsteps approach, and he opens his mouth to say something.

"Let's just go to his now and when Max is done being MIA, she can come in her own time."

He's right.

"You're right... El, put the phone down and let's just go." I smile at her and she returns it sweetly with a nod of agreement.

"LUCAS!" Dustin calls out with a small voice crack that causes me to snort. He looks at me and blinks twice, his annoyed expression making it even funnier.

"Sorry—" I apologise quickly with a giggle, and look at Lucas when he enters the room.

"What? Dude, you don't have to yell, I'm literally just in the next room..." Lucas rolls his eyes at Dustin.

"It doesn't matter— we are going to Mike's house now and Max will probably join us as well soon." I explain, and he nods.

"Right... I could just try to call her though?"

"Don't bother... we've been trying for like half an hour..." El interrupts with a shrug before kneeling down to tie her shoelaces.

It's strange since she normally always answers the phone— that girl never has anything better to do.

But bottom line is, we are going to check on Mike, and now.

To Be Continued...

a.n. p/madwheeler 🫶🏻

IM BACK IN WRITING WOOOOHOOOO