𝟑𝟖.

Thur. 23rd January 1986 | 6:32pm
Michael Wheeler

Today was quite uneventful to say the least. Lessons went by quicker than usual and the atmosphere generally just felt quieter. I quite like when school is like this - not loud so I can properly get my work done so that there's nothing left to stress over after school.

My gaze turns towards the cradle when I hear the phone ringing before looking towards Will, who seems to be busy painting.

"I'll get it." I smile at him and get up, approaching the phone and picking up, "hello?"

"Michael Wheeler!"

"Mom?" I furrow my brows, not really expecting a call from her- let alone such an aggressive start.

"Is it true that you cursed out Mr Kowalski on Tuesday?" She asks. I can already tell that she has a hand on her hip.

"Yeah..." I pause, looking down at my feet in search for an excuse, "but mom! Mr Kowalski asked for it. It's like he wanted me to piss all over his floor."

"It's not an excuse. He's a teacher and no matter what, you should always show respect. That's what I taught you, remember?"

"Yeah... I know. I'm sorry mom."

"You shouldn't be apologising to me, it's the teacher you should be apologising to."

"Mom- you realise he doesn't actually care about me cursing him out. He's just looking for a reason to punish one of his students because.. I don't know- teachers get bored." I shrug.

"Michael, that's not the point. The point is that if you continue to lose your temper, then you'll end up getting expelled. And then after that, we will have to move- something I know you will keep whining about because I know really well how much you hate going on dad's business trips. So how do you think any of us, especially you, are gonna feel if we have to move?"

Shit, she's right.

If I get expelled and end up having to move away from Hawkins, it'll make the chance of seeing my friends- and Will again really poor. I don't want that.

I sigh. "Okay. I'm sorry."

"I'm sure you are, because you're grounded."

"What?" I scrunch my nose, "I don't even live with you."

"I'm not gonna mail you cash anymore for the rest of the semester."

Wait- what?? How the hell am I gonna pay for groceries? I can't ask Will to pay!

Well- I can since theoretically as room mates, we have to split money... but I'm used to paying for him! Watching him give money to the cashier is gonna make me feel so helpless- I just know it.

"Mom- I said I was sorry! There's no need!"

"Oh yes there is! You have to understand that there are consequences to your actions. You always say 'sorry' but then get yourself in trouble again."

I exhale. "Okay. Fine."

"I'm glad you understand, honey." I raise my brows to the sudden change of demeanour.