𝟒𝟎.

Max Mayfield

"What the hell are you talking about?"

I cock a brow in confusion when El asks that against the phone.

"Angela- why didn't you tell me this before instead of leaving out of the fucking blue?" What?

I glance over at the headmistress who gives Eleanor a dirty look due to her bad use of language before turning my attention back El.

Leaving?

"Okay- okay, but why though?" She continues, gasping shortly afterwards. "I... what? I didn't think it was that severe. Is she okay?"

I am so confused and it doesn't help that El isn't specifying on her words. All that's clear to me is that... something is going on with Angela.

"El- what is she saying?" I finally interrupt - I mean, I was brought here for a reason. The brunette just extends her finger near my lips as to shush me, and I roll my eyes with a sigh.

Okay... later then, I suppose.

"Just... call me later when you're there..." She says, waiting a few seconds before placing the phone down on the cradle. El looks... horrified.

"El, what's wrong?" My brows slightly furrow.

"Angela isn't coming back."

Sat. 2nd February, 1986 | 17:43pm
Jane Hopper

I miss her.

I miss Angela.

It hadn't even been that long yet but I'm already starting not to be able to stand her not being around. We've been trying out long distance lately and it's been going pretty well, but it's just not the same. I can't kiss her anymore, I can't hold her hands anymore, I can't hug her anymore.

What makes it hurt even more is that she didn't even move to a place where she'll be happy. Now, she's back in her home town in Louisiana, the same place she was only respected in because of the friends she had. Lord knows if she is still friends with them, though. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if she's an outcast.

The worst part is that I can't even do anything about it.

"Why are we all here?" Lucas asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Um- because we are a cool friend group that like hanging out with each other." Dustin replies with a roll of his eyes.

"Hm..." I exhale, "well, maybe we should actually do something rather than just sit around."

I suggest, and the first person who catches my eye is Max, who has a cheeky smile on her face.

"How about... spin the bottle?" She smirks

"Yeah- and get herpes from you? No way."

"Okay, Dustin, act as if you and your so called 'Suzie-poo' don't suck each other's faces off every time you see each other."

"Touché." I answer for him with a giggle.

Max takes the small silence as an answer and gets up, probably to look for a bottle, but Mike's dialogue causes her to stop in her tracks.

"Uh, guys... I don't think this is a good idea."

"Yeah-" Will agrees, "If I end up having to kiss Mike, I might actually throw up..."

I narrow my eyes and look at Will, cocking my brows disbelievingly.

Okay... there's definitely something going on between him and Mike.

I mean- it was pretty obvious from the beginning, on Mike's part at least, but I just wasn't sure about Will. Now I definitely am. Lately they've just been giving off such a... sweet vibe. Not like anyone else I know- except people that are romantically associated with each other. Not to mention how hard they're trying to seem disgusted by the idea of being together in any way.

"Relax." Max rolls her eyes, "It will be fun."

Will sighs in defeat and looks to Mike, and it takes a few seconds for him to do the same.

"Great!" Max smiles and I straighten up as she places a glass bottle in the middle of the circle that we've all formed. "I'll spin first." She says.

I can't really lie, I'm quite nervous. I don't really know why, though. But just the idea of kissing Max again after quite a long while seems weird. Well- if the bottle lands on me, that is.

I don't like her.

Which is precisely the reason why I'm just overthinking right now. Everything will be fine- it will probably land on Lucas or something! Or Dustin or Mike or Will. There are four other people so that means I only have a 20% chance of having to kiss her. That's not much.

Besides, even though it's not the same, I literally have a girlfriend who I really really like which proves my point further.

My chest tightens as the bottle starts spinning, and the tension between everyone is immense - I can practically hear Dustin's heartbeat from across the circle.

I giggle when the bottle lands on Mike and everyone's attention turns towards him.

Michael Wheeler

A soft gasp escapes my lips when I feel everyone's wide eyes on me and I extend my hand in case Max tries to get close, even though she looks like she has the same level of disgust as me.

"NO! No way!" I shift my gaze between everyone and meet eyes with Will, but only for a split second. Lucas just snorts at me and I give him a look before turning to Max.

No getting out of this...

I let out an exaggerated sigh to make it obvious how little I am willing to do this and lean in to peck her lips. Cheering, especially coming from Dustin, starts to scatter the room, meanwhile Max and I grimace in sync.

I cannot put into words how disgusting and wrong that felt.

"Ew- anyway..."

Glad the feeling is mutual.

Max wipes her lips and I roll my eyes, "Mike, you spin."

After kissing literally the worst option in the room, I surprisingly feel much more at ease.

"Uh, okay..."

I lean forward towards the bottle and give it a nice spin before settling back down on my spot.

And then I feel the drum of my pulse becoming increasingly faster.

To Be Continued...

a.n. AHHH GUYS IM SO SORRY IM LITERALLY THE WORST FOR TAKING OVER A MONTH 😭😭

it's just I've been extremely caught up with my own stuff like mental health and most importantly, school, this semester has been SO SO busy and still sort of is but I apologise since I still should've tried having a balance! <33

I can't promise a certain time for the next chapter's release since where has that ever gotten me lmao but now that I've gotten back into it, I'll definitely be faster :) maybe in the weekend or so but I'll see!

<3